Lethargic rabbit, doesn't eat any food, please help!

After working as a vet tech and seeing multiple rabbits. The most important thing is to keep their bowls moving. You need to force feed if she is not eating and passing poop. We would always give owners “Critical Care Herbivore” to force feed their rabbits. You can probably get some online. Idk if per stores carry it. When you force feed get a big towel and make a taco out of the rabbit so that it can’t kick and possibly injure itself. Then stick a syringe with ground food/water in the side of the mouth (have to get around the big chompers) and slowly feed. It’s a mess but needs to be done.

After working as a vet tech and seeing multiple rabbits. The most important thing is to keep their bowls moving. You need to force feed if she is not eating and passing poop. We would always give owners “Critical Care Herbivore” to force feed their rabbits. You can probably get some online. Idk if per stores carry it. When you force feed get a big towel and make a taco out of the rabbit so that it can’t kick and possibly injure itself. Then stick a syringe with ground food/water in the side of the mouth (have to get around the big chompers) and slowly feed. It’s a mess but needs to be done.
I don't know if she's in a shape to eat right now. Perhaps if she gets better she'll eat and drink by herself.

If she doesn’t eat, she won’t get better. It could be an infection or even an upset stomach that started it but it’s always bad news when they stop eating. That’s why after we spayed/neutered a rabbit once they woke up we would force feed and keep them overnight to make sure they started eating on their own. Wish I could give you the biological reason why their stomachs need to keep moving. All I can say is from what we were told and how we treated rabbits. Try to get her to eat a little bit of food that’s mashed up so she doesn’t have to chew and get it far enough back in her mouth so that she has to eat.

If she doesn’t eat, she won’t get better. It could be an infection or even an upset stomach that started it but it’s always bad news when they stop eating. That’s why after we spayed/neutered a rabbit once they woke up we would force feed and keep them overnight to make sure they started eating on their own. Wish I could give you the biological reason why their stomachs need to keep moving. All I can say is from what we were told and how we treated rabbits. Try to get her to eat a little bit of food that’s mashed up so she doesn’t have to chew and get it far enough back in her mouth so that she has to eat.
What mashed food she'd eat ? And what if its because of the cauliflower leaves (store bought, probably with a lot of chemicals, if i can call it like that)

Too much heavy greens can bind them up. Not sure about the chemicals. My brother use to give his rabbit greens bought at grocery and never had a problem. Keep in mind intact female rabbits are notorious for getting uterine infections. If you took the rabbit to a vet without any diagnostics done then they would probably give you an antibiotic and something to force feed.
If you have a blender you can try blending some hay. Mix it with water and try to get her to swallow.

Thanks God it was only diarrhea. Rabbit had drank a half bowl of water during the night, i saw her eating hay and she moves almost like normal. Now I'll have to put her on a serious diet cuz she's too fat and was receiving too many things that could make her sick :/ Any tips on how to help her get healthy? Should i wipe her butts from poo if theres any?

Just feed the hay. No other treats. Weight loss should be a gradual thing. If she is loosing weight rapidly then offer a few pellets to slow it down. You can clean her butt, might help if she’s too fat to do it herself. I assume you know that rabbits need to be able to eat some of their own poop, as gross as that sounds. This helps them maintain good bacteria in their gut.

Just feed the hay. No other treats. Weight loss should be a gradual thing. If she is loosing weight rapidly then offer a few pellets to slow it down. You can clean her butt, might help if she’s too fat to do it herself. I assume you know that rabbits need to be able to eat some of their own poop, as gross as that sounds. This helps them maintain good bacteria in their gut.
Yeah i know about them eating their own poop. I just checked on her and fortunately there isnt such a mess like on the most pictures after diarrhea - just a bit discolored and like a few "curly points" made of hair but its soft and there is no poop left. She needs to loss some weight too so even after hay and water diet she won't be given as much treats as she used too.

Back
Top Bottom