Lethargic/slow moving hen.

@Wyorp Rock do you have any insight? I’m not very keen on diseases yet… I’ll be calling the vet shortly, what antibiotics should I get?

I’m not sure that coryza is her problem. What makes you think that? It sounds more like she is having a reproductive or other problem. Chickens may act sluggish and not want to eat for a variety of reasons. Coryza is a bad respiratory disease that causes swollen gunky eyes, smells bad around the face, with coughing and other respiratory symptoms.

Has she lost any weight? Her tail is up, so that is good. Is her crop empty early morning? I would make a little wet chicken feed, and offer that with cooked egg bits. Don’t force water, just place a cup up to her beak. Dip her beak if she doesn’t drink.

I’m not sure that coryza is her problem. What makes you think that? It sounds more like she is having a reproductive or other problem. Chickens may act sluggish and not want to eat for a variety of reasons. Coryza is a bad respiratory disease that causes swollen gunky eyes, smells bad around the face, with coughing and other respiratory symptoms.

Has she lost any weight? Her tail is up, so that is good. Is her crop empty early morning? I would make a little wet chicken feed, and offer that with cooked egg bits. Don’t force water, just place a cup up to her beak. Dip her beak if she doesn’t drink.
She has a bit of swelling around her nostrils, and her breathing is slightly elevated, like her body is pumping, and there was a bit of mucus in her beak. I don’t believe she has lost any weight, but I’m not sure. She had a small amount of food in her crop that seemed packed together so I dipped her beak in some warm water, and then massaged it. She is only seeming to be interested in warmed wet cat food, but mainly only dry cat food, but I’m wetting that down. She’s seeming to become weaker almost. I won’t be home for several hours unfortunately, should I call my vet while I’m out and see about getting an antibiotic to have on hand or should I wait

Also thank you so so so much for the help, I’m very worried about this hen and my flock

She may be very sick and dying. Hard to know exactly what is going on. Many times a necropsy after death will give you an idea. You could try an antibiotic if you wish, but I would not jump to conclusions that she has exposed your whole flock to anything. Your state vet lab can perform a necropsy with testing if you do lose her. When you have a flock of chickens, you will lose one from time to time unfortunately. Let us know how she is later today.

Ok she’s still alive, but not looking great, food looks pretty much untouched, but the crop still has food in it. Massaging and going to distribute some warm water. She was laying almost leaning to one side. She will stand when I put her on her feet, but is eager to lay down immediately. Definitely pretty week probably from lack of food intake. Any idea what it could be? I don’t feel any type of egg or anything, and her vent looks clear.

I’ve got another hen that’s starting to come down with the same symptoms…. Just called my vets office and the vet who I’ve worked with will be calling me within three hours hopefully

Read your previous post, suggest internal blockage of some sort whether caused by fibrous grass/growth/parasite leading to eventual sour crop and the liquid out of the mouth. Almost too late by this stage but I would treat her and remaining flock for worms and coccidiosis, review diet in case they are ingesting any grass which is too long or anything fibrous, and treat for sour crop in your poorly hen - if you can get it Daktin or other brand childrens gel for oral thrush works, a pea size dose into the beak 2x a day. I would handle each of your hens to check which ones might be struggling/getting skinny, they hide these problems so well. Ideally rehabilitate any struggling ones before they get to the not eating stage, that for me is time to let go if the hen is already thin ie it has been going on for a while. I would only ever try to manually feed a chicken that wasn' t already run down. My vet stresses importance of keeping the bird really quite warm. Best of luck!

Ok so the second hen seems to have a crop the size of a balloon, and it feels full of liquid, im afraid to hurt her what do I do

So unfortunately Linda, the rir has passed away. I’m glad she is relieved of her suffering 😭 although my heart is broken. Now the question is, what tests do I order if I want to have a necropsy done….. I have absolutely no clue what any of it means. @Eggcessive would you know? I also don’t know how to prepare or ship the bird…

I’m sorry for your loss. Glad that she is not suffering. Contact the state vet and just ask how to get a necropsy. They will ask about symptoms, and they will know what to do. A general necropsy should bnot be too expensive to find a cause of death. They may suggest further testing later. Keep the body cold in a cooler with ice, but not frozen. Here is the list including MI:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Back
Top Bottom