Lethargic, standing with eyes closed, was only drinking and not eating...help!

I will be worming her and the others. I've hear diamataceous earth is good...any opinions?

Penny is still quite lethargic. She's drinking and pecking a bit at food, but I wouldn't call it eating. When she does drink, there are very loud and bizzare sounds comming from her like her "stomach" is growling. Any thoughts? I know I need to give probiotics and electrolytes and have added a little salt and sugar to her water. Will yogurt be enough or do I need something more specific. She did peck at the yogurt. Her pecking is odd too...it's as if she cant see quite right and goes to the edge or where the plate shows through the food. Still open to suggestions for her and hope to pull her through. She inside and kept quiet with a heat pack under her. At least she's sitting down more and does get up and take a few steps from her "nest" of coiled towels.
For worming you need something like Safeguard (fenbendazole), Panacur (fenbendazole) liquid or paste or Valbazen (albendazole) and *not* Wazine (piperazine).

If she were mine I would weigh her daily on a kitchen or postal scale and tube feed her if she was losing weight or not eating.

-Kathy

My "crop" tubes are those red rubber catheters and I stock all the different sizes so I can tube a chick or a goose when/if I have to.

When I am going to give less than 60cc's, I use a 35cc catheter tip syringe like this one.

How To Crop Feed Your Bird Diagram

Wow, ok, sooooo helpful. So, Penny is a larger breed RIR. Do you think a 20 french cath tube would be a good size?
I use a 30 on my full sized birds and it's big enough that crumbles with water will pass through it
big_smile.png
. If you can get a 20 that will work for sure... Always best to use the biggest possible, that way their is zero chance of it going tin the trachea.

-Kathy

Ok, I did my first tube feeding! It went well. I gave about 40-45ml. She took in on her own, about 35-40ml at one time yesterday. She did well but seems to have a lot of GI distress and some reflux was brought back up after a couple mins, but she had layed down and was putting pressure on her crop. She's resting but keeps bringing her head up high and swallowing. Was that a good amount to start and how often should I give this until she is eating better on her own again?

Ok, I did my first tube feeding! It went well. I gave about 40-45ml. She took in on her own, about 35-40ml at one time yesterday. She did well but seems to have a lot of GI distress and some reflux was brought back up after a couple mins, but she had layed down and was putting pressure on her crop. She's resting but keeps bringing her head up high and swallowing. Was that a good amount to start and how often should I give this until she is eating better on her own again?
If she's vomiting cut back to an amount where she doesn't. All birds are different and you'll need to find what works for her. As soon as her crop is mostly clear you can give some more. Keep in mind that she might be dying and that's the reason she vomiting. Keep her warm!

-Kathy

Last edited:
Ok, it was just a little reflux, but I will cut back some next time. She seems more comfortable now after a few more mins. passed, so she is probably digesting and has gotten some of the excess air out too. She's inside and warm :) Thanks for getting back to me and for all your guidance. Should I keep you posted?

Back
Top Bottom