Lethargic, with green poop

Andreab6881

Chirping
Feb 13, 2022
Hi! I have had one of my hens in the house for a week and she is better than she was but still not great. Not sure what to try next. She still has runny poop green/yellowish white in color. She is not eating and drinking on her own. We are using a syringe and getting food/water in her.

We gave her electrolytes, poultry cell, charcoal, pumpkin, crushed layer pellets, whole pellets, scratch, fresh veggies, and have been treating with corid. She improved with the corid treatment, keeping her eyes open more, her head stopped bobbing. She still does not appear to be eating or drinking and her poop still isn’t normal.

Attachments

• D164635A-9607-4B62-9059-59E6C4C5C249.jpeg
    D164635A-9607-4B62-9059-59E6C4C5C249.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 375
  • 484E57D6-D34D-4753-A275-DFF23B9E88E6.jpeg
    484E57D6-D34D-4753-A275-DFF23B9E88E6.jpeg
    827.3 KB · Views: 44
  • E8C93E4F-616F-4210-AE0E-C3ACFDD05C1A.png
    E8C93E4F-616F-4210-AE0E-C3ACFDD05C1A.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
  • F4986597-20B5-4652-A909-8161AE02529B.png
    F4986597-20B5-4652-A909-8161AE02529B.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 32
If you think Corid is helping be sure not to give vitamins during treatment as it can counteract the corid.

Poop will be watery and green if a chicken is not eating much. How old is your girl? Have you checked her crop for normal functioning and her belly and vent areas for anything unusual?

Some of the poops look black in the picture. Is that accurate? Are you still feeding the charcoal or anything that could make her poop that dark?

If you think Corid is helping be sure not to give vitamins during treatment as it can counteract the corid.

Poop will be watery and green if a chicken is not eating much. How old is your girl? Have you checked her crop for normal functioning and her belly and vent areas for anything unusual?

Some of the poops look black in the picture. Is that accurate? Are you still feeding the charcoal or anything that could make her poop that dark?
Her semi solid poop last night after feeding her pumpkin mixed with crushed layer pellets is a really dark green when I put a flashlight on it. We haven’t given her charcoal recently.

I palpated her and did not feel anything abnormal. Her vent looks good. It did not feel like she was egg bound, everything felt soft nothing hard except bones.

I did realize the vitamins could counteract with the corid so I will make sure my husband isn’t mixing the two for the rest of the flock. We started treating the rest of the flock because we noticed diarrhea and one bloody poop too. We have 44 chickens so not sure which one when all the others are acting normal.

I also just noticed her unusual eye color and her pupil looks a little misshapen as well... Possibly ocular Marek's?
Oh no… that’s not good. Would that possibly explain why she was keeping her eyes closed a lot in the beginning? And not eating on her own?

Oh no… that’s not good. Would that possibly explain why she was keeping her eyes closed a lot in the beginning? And not eating on her own?
I don't know a whole lot about ocular Marek's, but as far as I know it just affects the eyes, though it is possible to have both the ocular and the neural form (which can affect appetite). Have you noticed a change in eye color? Some healthy birds do have gray/blue eyes for whatever reason, though it is pretty rare. Does her pupil react to light normally? Do you know if your birds were vaccinated and have you ever had Marek's in your flock?

electrolytes, poultry cell, charcoal, pumpkin, crushed layer pellets, whole pellets, scratch, fresh veggies, and have been treating with corid. She improved with the corid treatment, keeping her eyes open more, her head stopped bobbing. She still does not appear to be eating or drinking and her poop still isn’t normal.

The corid I put in the water and the poultry cell I mixed with pumpkin. The poultry cell I gave her the first couple days she was in before I bought the Corid.

We started treating the rest of the flock because we noticed diarrhea and one bloody poop too. We have 44 chickens so not sure which one when all the others are acting normal.
What do you feed, including treats?

What's the pumpkin, etc. for? Are you trying to deworm her? If you are, then use an anthelmintic like Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (Albendazole).

You mention bloody poops from your flock? How long have you had these birds? Please get photos of the other poops you've seen.

Do you provide grit (crushed granite) for your birds?
When was her last egg?

Head bobbing? Have you looked for lice/mites, infection in the ears? Is her crop emptying overnight?
Cut out all the goodies and focus on her eating a nutritionally balanced poultry feed. Egg, fish or meat can be added for a protein boost.

If you need to finish the course of Corid, then finish it. Corid liquid dose is 2tsp or Corid Powder is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given as the sole source of drinking water for 5-7 days. Don't add any extra vitamins or supplements that contain B1(Thiamine) to their food or water during the course of treatment.

What do you feed, including treats?

What's the pumpkin, etc. for? Are you trying to deworm her? If you are, then use an anthelmintic like Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (Albendazole).

You mention bloody poops from your flock? How long have you had these birds? Please get photos of the other poops you've seen.

Do you provide grit (crushed granite) for your birds?
When was her last egg?

Head bobbing? Have you looked for lice/mites, infection in the ears? Is her crop emptying overnight?
Cut out all the goodies and focus on her eating a nutritionally balanced poultry feed. Egg, fish or meat can be added for a protein boost.

If you need to finish the course of Corid, then finish it. Corid liquid dose is 2tsp or Corid Powder is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given as the sole source of drinking water for 5-7 days. Don't add any extra vitamins or supplements that contain B1(Thiamine) to their food or water during the course of treatment.
AFED4575-6733-4AAC-8E3C-50D16D92C87B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom