Lethargic & wobbly

chloeclear

Hatching
Jan 20, 2016
It's been over a week since we noticed that our hen, who is 12 months old, was injured. She was in the horse stall nesting in the corner with all of her Feathers down the center of her back missing. We brought her in the house cleaned her up with peroxide and put a generous amount of Neosporin all over her back as it had dried up blood/scabs all over it. We're keeping her in a large container in our garage she seems to be eating a little bit and drinking a little bit but she seems to be sleeping around the clock. She only gets up for a couple minutes and then back to sleep she seems very wobbly/disoriented. Trouble balancing only stands for a minute and then lays back down & her comb is faded. She seems to have trouble finding her food, but her eyes look normal. Wondering if she was attacked and perhaps has nerve damage? She is free ranged and in the coop at night - We have 21 chickens. She is a Buff Rock, we live in Ohio. It's been an extremely warm winter, until a few weeks ago, our temperatures are now in the teens.
This morning I took her outside hoping that hearing and seeing the flock might perk her up, she got a little burst of energy so I set her on the grass, she toppled to her side. I thought she was going to pass in my arms. Brought her in the house we've given her a warm bath, swaddled her. She wakes up for a couple minutes walks around & pecks a little bit and then lays down and goes back to sleep.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Last edited:
She was probably pecked by the flock because of her behavior, she probably isn't going to make it, she could have any of the numerous diseases they get, but I think it's too late at this point, sorry. You could try some general antibiotics on her to see if she responds.

Thank you, I hope she pulls through but there is a chance she won't. I'll look more into antibiotics

Back
Top Bottom