Lethargic

Agapehomestead

Chirping
Jun 19, 2021
We lost two chickens about a week apart, but it’s been a month since they passed. One we noticed being stand offish and so we watched her a little, then one morning she was still sleeping in the coop in the morning. I isolated her and made her scrambled egg, but she was gone by noon. The night another chicken in a different flock, but close by, couldn’t stand. We isolated her and nursed her about a week before she was gone. Both were severely underweight when we got to them, but it was hidden by their feathers. Now, I have a hen that seemed stand offish and not running to the food so I am worried and isolated her. She ate most of a scrambled egg last night. This morning I check on her and she has feathers in the cage…could she just be weird if she’s starting to molt? Should I deworm all my chickens and put her back with the flock? I have injectable ivermectin…I could treat them in their water. Any advice would be great.

Edited to add that they are moved around in poultry netting and so have fresh ground.

Last edited:
If another chicken dies or is close to death, I highly urge you to seek an animal testing lab for a necropsy. Refrigerate, don't freeze the body until you can drive it or ship it to a lab.

If you provide your location, we can help you find a lab.

This could be an avian virus or coccidiosis or something in the water. Are you on unfiltered well water or is fracking occurring near you?

We are in unfiltered well water, but there’s no fracking near by. I did treat them for cocci after the second chicken was ill. I’m in WV.

If your well water is high in iron, it can promote bacteria. It might be wise to have your health department test a sample. It might not hurt humans and large animals, but it takes very little to affect chickens.

WV state vet does not perform necropsies unfortunately. Neighboring states will, but not sure they will for a chicken from out of state. Many people do home necropsies on their chickens that die. Internal laying masses, cancer, fatty liver diseases are some of the things I have seen. Many hens will suffer reproductive disorders or cancer by 3 years of age. Crop disorders or gizzard problems can also cause weight loss.

Back
Top Bottom