Lethargic/bloated??! Help!!

MetroMutt

Songster
Mar 9, 2021
NJ
Ok so ive been watching my girl Hazel for the past hour or so and she looks very bloated/round and is acting lethargic/tired. Her comb looks normal but her vent seems swollen/has poop on it.

Hazel in her previous home has experienced eggbound and often lays eggs with bumpy shells all 4 of the girls laid their eggs this morning though and shes not showing any other symptoms of eggbound and im having trouble finding anything online

I didnt notice anything out of the normal this morning either but now that im home after school and free ranging them shes moving slowly and not trying to stay with the others like normal, shes not even talking like she usually does!

Im very worried about my sweet girl please help!

Since she has a history of egg binding, it wouldn't be out of line to assume she is this time, as well. Often, egg binding involves two eggs coming down the chute together. Once one clears the shell gland, there often isn't enough calcium for the second, so it gets hung up.

Give her a calcium tablet immediately. Calcium citrate is my choice because it works fastest. But other forms, inclusing Tums will work.

Place her in a crate on absorbent towels so you can observe what comes out of her. She may also lose a lot of fluid and the towel will absorb it. Be sure she has plenty of water to drink as this can make her thirsty.

Keep her warm and comfortable and quiet. She will feel lots better once she gets the second egg out, if that is what her problem is. It does no harm to treat for it, and not treating could result in a tragic outcome.

Little update but she is drinking water and pecking pooped a tiny tiny bit, very wet though and only a tiny amount

She's thirsty and not pooping because she likely has an obstruction. Have you given her the calcium yet? This is crucial to treating her.

She's thirsty and not pooping because she likely has an obstruction. Have you given her the calcium yet? This is crucial to treating her.
I will in one second, i need to figure out how its given to her so i do it right
Since she has a history of egg binding, it wouldn't be out of line to assume she is this time, as well. Often, egg binding involves two eggs coming down the chute together. Once one clears the shell gland, there often isn't enough calcium for the second, so it gets hung up.

Give her a calcium tablet immediately. Calcium citrate is my choice because it works fastest. But other forms, inclusing Tums will work.

Place her in a crate on absorbent towels so you can observe what comes out of her. She may also lose a lot of fluid and the towel will absorb it. Be sure she has plenty of water to drink as this can make her thirsty.

Keep her warm and comfortable and quiet. She will feel lots better once she gets the second egg out, if that is what her problem is. It does no harm to treat for it, and not treating could result in a tragic outcome.
Would we able to have a crate in the coop with straw on top of the towel? my dad isnt letting me bring her inside and im really worried about her

We have her in a cat carrier with a towel straw and water with tums mixed in along with a egg which she ate the shell of is that ok?

You need to give her a whole Tums not diluted in water. Give her one Tums tablet right away. She desperately needs an infusion of concentrated calcium. This will prevent her bloodstream from getting depleted of calcium, sparing her sudden death from a heart attack, and it will encourage contractions to get the obstruction out.

You need to give her a whole Tums not diluted in water. Give her one Tums tablet right away. She desperately needs an infusion of concentrated calcium. This will prevent her bloodstream from getting depleted of calcium, sparing her sudden death from a heart attack, and it will encourage contractions to get the obstruction out.
She should peck it right out of her hand? I think the OP isn’t sure how to administer the tablet....

Back
Top Bottom