lets begin the count down, shall we??*EGG MOVED TODAY!*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ducklove334, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    5 MORE DAYS, and I am hoping that my mallard egg hatches, it's due the 29th, the egg is solid, and I mean SOLID, I can't see anything, but the aircell, it doesn't stink, so I am guessing it's still alive, atleast I'm hoping, I've had ABUNCH of temp fluxs in the past few days, up to 105, then down to about 99, then back up to 105, and then finally it's at about 100, this is a still air bator.

when should it start moving??, It feels heavy as all get out, but no movement yet, and the aircell is big, but doesn't take up half the egg, or are chicks and ducks different??

I really hope the little guy hatches, i'll get pics of te egg later.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    [​IMG]

3. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    the good thing is, I am OFF from work that day too [​IMG]

I'll be able to watch, though I think we may be going somewheres

4. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    ok,so I've kinda been questioning, rather worrying whether the mallard baby was still alive or not, I candled as a check up a few minutes ago, the aircell is getting bigger, i put it back, did NOT touch athing, was getting ready to close the lid on the bator, and it MOVED, I mean it all out MOVED the egg shook back and forth, it freaked me out! [​IMG]

I stop turning it, tomorrowwwwww

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  5. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    [​IMG] YAY - here's good hatching vibes for you! [​IMG]

6. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    ....I can tell what i'm going to be thinking about all day today LMAO,

it's rocked a couple more times, but has been quiet since, must be sleepin', do they sleep?

7. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    I got some questions I just thought of,

this little egg is hatching alone, no other eggs due to hatch the same day, I've got all kinds of eggs in the bator with different hatch dates, RIR eggs wich I am thinking of pulling cause they arn't gonna hatch, they do not look like they are going to hatch the 28th, 4 button quail eggs due in 9 days, and runner,khaki,pekin, and cayuga eggs due in april hopefully.

do you HAVE to lower the temps for hatch, what about humidity??

how will that effect the other eggs,and how will it effect them to not be turned for up to 24 hours??

I REALLY want this guy to hatch, and I'll do anything to help that along, but I also want to insure the best for my other eggs.

8. DuckyBoys

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I would think that with only one egg hatching you should be OK with keeping the temperature the same. The reason they tell you to lower the temp is because hatching creates heat and raises the temperature, but with just one, I don't think it will effect things much. You will definately want to find a happy medium with the humidity though, it is really important.

Good Luck! [​IMG]

9. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm not sure what my humidity is, I have always just winged it LMAO, I have a small plastic bowl in the bator thats always full, as well as all the channels are always full, for the time that the baby is hatching maybe only let the bowl be completly full and let the channels go dry, then fill them back when the baby is outta the brooder??

10. DuckyBoys

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    No, I'd leave all that in. You'll want to raise the humidity for hatching. In fact, just leave it the way it is probably, sometimes when you mess with it, things go bad. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by