Lets guess the gender... ?

Ponypoor

Professional Chicken Wrangler
Premium Feather Member
May 23, 2021
Central Ontario, Canada
I have four 6-week old chicks that I am trying to guess the gender with. The Daddy is a 'barnyard-mix easter-egger' type. Each chick is from a different hen. I have numbered the chicks in the photos 1 to 4:

Chicks 1 & 2 are from Silkie hens
Chick 3 is from an Americauna
Chick 4 is from a Copper Maran

If anyone would like to give it a go and review the photos and give it your best 'gestimate' on what you think they are - hen/rooster - that would be great. I plan on keeping them until they 'crow or lay an egg' anyways so in the future we can see how accurate we all are. I know Silkies are notoriously difficult but not sure if this holds true for Silkie cross birds.

Look forward to seeing what everyone thinks they are!

Attachments

• Chick-1-at-6-weeks.jpg
    Chick-1-at-6-weeks.jpg
    709.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Chick-2-at-6-weeks.jpg
    Chick-2-at-6-weeks.jpg
    632.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Chick-3-at-6-weeks.jpg
    Chick-3-at-6-weeks.jpg
    663.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Chick-4-at-6-weeks.jpg
    Chick-4-at-6-weeks.jpg
    638.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Chick-6-weeks(1).jpg
    Chick-6-weeks(1).jpg
    948.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Chick-6-weeks(2).jpg
    Chick-6-weeks(2).jpg
    933.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Chick-6-weeks(3).jpg
    Chick-6-weeks(3).jpg
    639.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Chicks-6-weeks.jpg
    Chicks-6-weeks.jpg
    670.5 KB · Views: 7
(almost) All pullets. #2 is the only possible cockerel IMO.
Can you get a full body picture of #2 standing up (if you can, of course. I know chicks can give a hard time when taking pictures!)
Will take one tomorrow, they r all in bed now 😊, they went to bed before 4pm today, miserable here today, blowing snow cold dreary....

(almost) All pullets. #2 is the only possible cockerel IMO.
Can you get a full body picture of #2 standing up (if you can, of course. I know chicks can give a hard time when taking pictures!)
Of course everyone was uncooperative today hahaha I only managed onr half decent pic so here is chick #2.... They have been on past two days due to snow and cold so they r all grumpy. I told them sorry kiddos I don't control the weather!

I think its a roo as he/she was facing down one of my bigger pullets face to face 😳

Attachments

• IMG_20211127_085115.jpg
    IMG_20211127_085115.jpg
    536.8 KB · Views: 7
Of course everyone was uncooperative today hahaha I only managed onr half decent pic so here is chick #2.... They have been on past two days due to snow and cold so they r all grumpy. I told them sorry kiddos I don't control the weather!

I think its a roo as he/she was facing down one of my bigger pullets face to face 😳
Very likely cockerel. Better pictures still needed :oops:

Try picking him up and then taking pictures.

Very likely cockerel. Better pictures still needed :oops:

Try picking him up and then taking pictures.
Ok here goes I plopped them all on my round bale to be at eye level, tried picking him/her up but didn't work too well.

Here are the best of a dozen I quick snapped hahaha.

Attachments

• IMG_20211128_091309.jpg
    IMG_20211128_091309.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20211128_091323.jpg
    IMG_20211128_091323.jpg
    977.7 KB · Views: 8
Ok here goes I plopped them all on my round bale to be at eye level, tried picking him/her up but didn't work too well.

Here are the best of a dozen I quick snapped hahaha.
Very possible cockerel. Update us in a week with more pictures, and we should have a better idea by then.

1,3,&4 are pullets. For #2, leaning cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom