Let's see repurposed coops/nesting boxes

Pics
Our nest boxes are old drawers from desks and dressers. The coop is a repurposed hog farrow and finish building

Attachments

• 20190704_133246.jpg
    20190704_133246.jpg
    779.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 20190706_145807.jpg
    20190706_145807.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 90
Last edited:
I love that! Your chickens must love the space!
They usually do, but there are a lot of challenges to making a 100 year old hog building suitable for chickens. Like hogs dont have any natural predators here. It didn't matter if a raccoon or something got in there when used for its original purpose. So we've had to do a lot of retrofitting, building pens inside, closing up the walls etc etc. Currently the issue is the old air vents at the top of the roof, the thing that kept them open just a bit failed and now they are wide open and predators have learned that can get in from there. Repurposed coops can be a real challenge

Do you have a picture by chance? I'm trying to figure out how to go about it
Heres what it originally was. We pretty much just took out the middle drawer and cut down the drawer fronts. We have since renovated the coop and cut the bottom off and put that piece on the same level (because they didn't care to lay in the lower one, understandably)

Attachments

• IMG_3737.JPG
    IMG_3737.JPG
    640 KB · Views: 89
I'd love to see pictures of peoples cops that were converted from random things. Mine was converted from a dog kennel that had hog panels welded onto it.
I'm debating on seeing if I can convert a old dresser into nesting boxes for my girls. My current set up collapsed...
I am in the process of building a coop out of old pallets I got from TSC. The one here lets me have all the pallets I want for nothing.
Right now I am removing the bottom slats to use to fill the gaps between the top slats. Will use the 2 X 4 runners as support and to hang nesting boxes, shelves and roosting bars from.
Will take pictures as I am building

Back
Top Bottom