Let's see repurposed coops/nesting boxes

I am going to build a "Run in Shed" for the Donkeys as soon as I get enough Pallets.~ My Nesting box is made from a brand new Kitchen Island that a local Cabinet maker threw out in his Dumpster. I partitioned it into 6 nest spaces for 10 hens and it works well. It was an open unit anyway so I didn't have doors to remove. Very stylish unit hung on the wall. I used a piece of plywood fro the back which was open. Or maybe it was a "Wall Hutch". Whatever, I am grateful he lets me "Pick" his dumpster. I have built a lot of things thanks to him. All hardwood too.

I will take pics as I build. I think this will be a very good coop for them. I plan on putting a tin roof on instead of plywood. It will be cheaper and I am thinking of using Deer Netting for the fence of the run instead of hardware cloth. About $100.00 cheaper

Here is what I am starting with. I have 24 pallets and will be getting more

View attachment 1858845 View attachment 1858846

My coop is made from a repurposed swingset/plywood/shingles, and a few 2×4. It was an easy build. I added skylights on one side and vents on two other sides. Built 6 nesting box square opening on the side that opens from the outside. Closed run for when they are not ranging. In hindsight I should have elevated it onto cement blocks as I have to bend to clean it out. still may lift it onto blocks. It was cheap as I got the shingles at the restore and the swingset was free. Fun project and the girls love it!
20190728_084316.jpg
20190728_084053.jpg
20190728_084223.jpg
20190728_084120.jpg
20190728_084138.jpg

My coop is made from a repurposed swingset/plywood/shingles, and a few 2×4. It was an easy build. I added skylights on one side and vents on two other sides. Built 6 nesting box square opening on the side that opens from the outside. Closed run for when they are not ranging. In hindsight I should have elevated it onto cement blocks as I have to bend to clean it out. still may lift it onto blocks. It was cheap as I got the shingles at the restore and the swingset was free. Fun project and the girls love it!
View attachment 1859029 View attachment 1859030 View attachment 1859031 View attachment 1859032 View attachment 1859033

One of the best swingset remakes I have ever seen!

:highfive:

Just have to say I'm over the moon with all the coops and creativity I've seen! We're building our coop out of 4 pallets (took bottom boards off to fill some off gaps in top), wood we have left over from deck that we tore down, and old cabinet doors from our kitchen renovation. We're going to raise it about 2 feet, use metal roof paneling from Home Depot for the roof, and build
20190727_105902.jpg
a run using more of the old deck wood as posts and chicken wire left over from another project. We'll cut out space in the back to attach nest boxes made from 4 additional cabinet doors we have leftover from the reno (1 for bottom, 1 cut in half for the sides, 1 for back, 1 for a hinged lid, and a piece of osb in the middle to split the space into two). Little curtains will hang in front for privacy . One of the lower boards in the back will be hinged so we can pull it up and pullout the bottom for cleaning. Any questions and ideas welcome!
20190727_105540.jpg
20190727_105626.jpg

Just have to say I'm over the moon with all the coops and creativity I've seen! We're building our coop out of 4 pallets (took bottom boards off to fill some off gaps in top), wood we have left over from deck that we tore down, and old cabinet doors from our kitchen renovation. We're going to raise it about 2 feet, use metal roof paneling from Home Depot for the roof, and build View attachment 1859287 a run using more of the old deck wood as posts and chicken wire left over from another project. We'll cut out space in the back to attach nest boxes made from 4 additional cabinet doors we have leftover from the reno (1 for bottom, 1 cut in half for the sides, 1 for back, 1 for a hinged lid, and a piece of osb in the middle to split the space into two). Little curtains will hang in front for privacy . One of the lower boards in the back will be hinged so we can pull it up and pullout the bottom for cleaning. Any questions and ideas welcome!
View attachment 1859288View attachment 1859289

That is using your head!
Raising it will definitely make things easier on the humans. :p

Not sure where you are located.....so I have questions.....
Are you going to slope the metal roof so rain and snow will run off?
Vents? Ventilation a very important in preventing overheating in summer and frostbite in winter. Letting that humid air out really really helps.

Be sure and lightly sand then prime well the cabinet doors so they last longer.

Back
Top Bottom