Lets talk about goats!

Pics
Pine Tree is listed under this section:
These plants all have different properties that make them toxic in their own way. They may not even kill the goats, but they cause mechanical injury or problems with resins. So for all others, here is the list:
I don't see the link does it say what kind of mechanical injuries or problems free eating the pine trees

this was the list -
  • Clover
  • Cocklebur
  • Downy Broome Grass
  • Sand Bur
  • Squirrel Tail Grass
  • Inkberry
  • Poke Weed
  • Pine Trees
  • Ponderosa Pine Needles
  • Baneberry
  • Buttercups
  • Crowfoot
  • Ground Ivy
  • Lobelia
  • Snakeberry
  • Spurge
  • White Cohosh

Livestock get into plants that are bad for them because they are hungry. If they have plenty of suitable food to eat they usually leave the toxic stuff alone.

My goats eat well. The get a sweet feed maid for goats and free choice alfalffa. They are never hungry. Nice lush green grass patches and weeds went untouched in their pen last year but they still ate the pine tree.
Livestock get into plants that are bad for them  because they are hungry.  If they have plenty of suitable food to eat they usually leave the toxic stuff alone.

Yup. They will eat the pine tree. And any other trees they can get to. Did the pine tree hurt your goats? They never hurt mine.
My goats eat well. The get a sweet feed maid for goats and free choice alfalffa. They are never hungry. Nice lush green grass patches and weeds went untouched in their pen last year but they still ate the pine tree.
Goats often eat wood because they are short of phosphorous, Alfalfa tends to be short on phosphorous. You might see if you can find a mineral mix that will compensate for this. I used to live in California. The goats there, including mine, were fed primarily alfalfa hay. They would chew the barn, trees, and any other wood they could get to. When I traveled to other parts of the country where the goats were fed primarily grass hay, I noticed they left the barns alone. Grass hay is high in phosphorous but low in calcium. Alfalfa is high in calcium but low in phosphorous. Your wood chewing goats probably need more phosphorous. Goats being goats, a phosphorous supplement may not completely save the pine trees, but it will help.

Thanks cassie ill look into it. I was creating my own mix grass/alfalfa maybe ill go back to it. Here they are right before i typed this goats being goats. I guess i was wrong about not being able to reach lol

Edit ive not noticed a problem but maybe im not smart enough to see it.

Last edited:
I have a strange question. My wife has wanted a pet goat for a while, and I was out buying a rooster and the seller of the rooster had a bunch of goats. One had kids but she was supposedly a half/half goat sheep. The father was a boer goat. I picked up the kid and brought it home because my kids and wife lived it. I was thinking that if it's a pet, all that matters is if it's cute. Now I have googled a bunch and realize sheep/goats are not common. So what could this be?
I think they call those Geep, ( I'm not kidding lol). SUPER CUTE by the way, beautiful animal.

Back
Top Bottom