Lets talk about goats!

Pics
is she in heat? also, goats are herd animals. get two more
I was also thinking that maybe she was in heat......but then it lasted for a month straight...and heats only last 18-36 hours long. So I know she isn't in heat, And yes, I know there heard animals, Was just wondering if she could last 2 months and have her babies be her company. But I didn't think so So I did buy another goat, and everything has more or less become normal, Although she DOES try to mount the new doe. lol.

I think they call those Geep, ( I'm not kidding lol). SUPER CUTE by the way, beautiful animal.

Geep are sheep/goat chimeras. Geep can only be produced in a laboratory. So unless a laboratory is missing a very valuable animal, that is not a geep.

A sheep/goat hybrid is possible, however, is highly unlikely that live offspring result. Hybrid happen when two separate species mate. But goats and sheep have a different number of chromosomes, which makes it difficult for them to produce viable offspring together. Considering there are parts of the world where large amounts of sheep and goats are pastured together, and the number of actual live hybrids of the two are incredibly low, you can see how I'd be skeptical.

Again, that kid looks like it might have Angora in the mix, a fiber breed of goat often confused with wool sheep.

like i said, I "think" they call them geep, I wasn't sure lol. Though I did know about sheep had a different number of chromosomes from goats, so he first time I heard that Sheep and goat COULD (even though it's rare) have babies together I didn't believe it!
gig.gif

Btw, I do find the little guy in the pic to have a very sheep like muzzle, Maybe it's just me...

The cornell list has pine trees as poisonous.
That's what my yard is - pines with an oak tree here and there or some other random tree. But mostly pine with scrub brush.
Just had a guy out to look at cutting about 30 pines close to the house - he asked why we don't have goats yet.
pine trees have a chemechal in them that is toxic to other animals but goats are able to eat it without harm . it is also a natural wormer

The cornell list has pine trees as poisonous.
That's what my yard is - pines with an oak tree here and there or some other random tree. But mostly pine with scrub brush.
Just had a guy out to look at cutting about 30 pines close to the house - he asked why we don't have goats yet.

My goats are always eating the bark off the pine trees and never had any problems yet except for the fact that I cant get one of my does bred, but I am almost certain the pine tree has nothing to do with that.

Can anyone tell me what breed these babies are? We were told they were Saanen, but I doubt it.
They are NOT Saanens. Saanens are white and usually Saanen crosses are white, too. They look like Alpines to me. They are certainly sporting Alpine color patterns.

That kid looks like a typical Boer cross goat kid to me. Doesn't look a bit like a sheep, or a geep either.

Thanks for your information on the kid. He is back with his mom until weaning since we only have one. We will make plans to get a second goat by the time he returns.

Back
Top Bottom