Lets talk about goats!

One of our does had two gorgeous doelings yesterday, on the 4th. We've named them Spangle and Sparkle.
wink.png

The only problem is one of the doeling's knees go forward, and her hooves bend down so that she basically walks on her knuckles. I've never experienced this before, but I have dealt with something similar to this with chickens. A simple "hobble" does the trick, and their legs are normally better within 3 days. Could I do something like that with her?

I have also never dealt with this but if you have BOSE or vitamin E and selineum gel it may help. Also I have read about splinting and it being successful. Congrats on the kids and hope your doeling gets better.

One of our does had two gorgeous doelings yesterday, on the 4th. We've named them Spangle and Sparkle. ;)

The only problem is one of the doeling's knees go forward, and her hooves bend down so that she basically walks on her knuckles. I've never experienced this before, but I have dealt with something similar to this with chickens. A simple "hobble" does the trick, and their legs are normally better within 3 days. Could I do something like that with her?

If you had three you could name the star, spangled, and banner. ;)

Ok, we don't have any of those large predators except our own 30 lb pet beagle... So far he gets along with the tortoise, but wants to chase the chickens... But hasn't actually bit one. Is there any way to predict how he would do with nigerian dwarves?

Keep the dog and the goats separated. The dog may try to chase the goats (stop that behavior at once) and the goats may try to butt the dog. This can cause the dog to retaliate (not good) or the goats may actually injure the dog (not good either).

One of our does had two gorgeous doelings yesterday, on the 4th. We've named them Spangle and Sparkle.
wink.png

I've seen this with baby calves. They usually get better in a few days.

It's usually 1 of 2 things. One: she was cramped in utero.. unless you had a small doe or large babies it is probably Number Two: Selenium deficiency. Most kids resolve in a couple days without any intervention. However, if it is number two, you need to look into giving your does a dose of Bo-Se at breeding time to prevent this. You can (as was stated before) give your baby some Bo-Se (1/4cc for a new born, rx med) or get the Selenium and Vit E paste (not an rx) I personally prefer the Bo-Se, but I have an awesome vet that I can work with. If all your vet has is Mu-Se, it's a different dose than the Bo-Se!

Keep the dog and the goats separated.  The dog may try to chase the goats (stop that behavior at once) and the goats may try to butt the dog.  This can cause the dog to retaliate (not good) or the goats may actually injure the dog (not good either).

Thanks Cassie. With us not having very much land, the goats and dog were going to share a yard, but be locked in their barn sometimes.. Maybe that won't work though... :(

I really have mixed feelings about our dog. He's a great family pet, but he makes me nervous around all of our other pets (chickens, tortoise, rabbits) and several times a week we end up panicking because he's chasing after someone. I just don't know if I can ever really trust him. Sometimes I feel like maybe it's irresponsible for us to keep him if its eventually going to lead to the death of our other animals... I don't know. I really love him. But I love all of our animals... and we really want a few dairy goats. Also, sometimes the tortoise ends up eating the dog poop and it makes him kind of sick. I just feel like he conflicts with all of our other pets.

Last edited:
Thanks Cassie. With us not having very much land, the goats and dog were going to share a yard, but be locked in their barn sometimes.. Maybe that won't work though...
sad.png

I really have mixed feelings about our dog. He's a great family pet, but he makes me nervous around all of our other pets (chickens, tortoise, rabbits) and several times a week we end up panicking because he's chasing after someone. I just don't know if I can ever really trust him. Sometimes I feel like maybe it's irresponsible for us to keep him if its eventually going to lead to the death of our other animals... I don't know. I really love him. But I love all of our animals... and we really want a few dairy goats. Also, sometimes the tortoise ends up eating the dog poop and it makes him kind of sick. I just feel like he conflicts with all of our other pets.

Dogs are by nature predators and goats are by nature fearful of and sometimes aggressive toward dogs. Having goats and dogs share the same quarters is a very bad idea for both of them. It is just asking for trouble.

I have a jack russel and he chased my goats at first but I trained him to "leave it" and they are fine now. I can leave him with the goats and have no worries. I even trust him around my baby chicks. He learned the animals are mine and off limits to him. Maybe you could try teaching the dog to "leave it" or that the goats are off limits

Back
Top Bottom