Lets talk about goats!

Quote:
We have a half acre that isn't being used. It is field, bordered by some light woodland. (pond at the back edge of the property)

Quote:
Me too. And for certain, for dairy is what I am looking at. Even not, they are just overall great.

12 x 14 is plenty for sleeping quarters. We usually used horse stalls so 10x10 or 12x12.. And that was for a couple alpines or whatnot. We also tethered them out on spools. (power line spools) That way you can move them around pretty easily if your property isn't completely fenced in (And it provides entertainment for them, which they really need). Goats can be pretty destructive to fencing anyhow, depending on what you use.

We have regular 6ft high wood fencing. I really think our little 30 lb beagle would leave them alone and they would be able to come out to the full yard when we are home. But maybe not...

Only time I have every had issues with dogs was when they were someone else's. Never had any of our dogs bother any goats we had. Goats can pack a mean wallop with a head-butt, so you may be alright. We have a beagle and she does... ok with our chickens. I wouldn't trust her alone with them, but while we are around she leaves them be. I think beagles are more prone to bother smaller farm animals than goats but suppose all depends on the size of the goats maybe. I think with the smaller ones you should be fine in your back yard. Just be wary of plants that are toxic in the back yard. Goats will strip a rhododendron and not think twice that it is poisonous to them.

Edit: A good listing of toxic plants-
http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/goatlist.html

Last edited:
It's not going to work, huh? They need the full backyard?

I have about 1/3 of an acre enclosed with a 48X48 goat house attached for enclosing my 12 goats at night. During the day they have access to an additional acre, I feel this is not enough for them and I am going to be fencing in an additional 2 acres. Someone told me 1 acre per 8 mini goats or 4 full size goats is what they would recommend as a minimum. I only have one standard size goat and her 2 kids who are not yet old enough to wean.The rest of my goats are minis. If it was me I would at least give the goats half of the yard and only keep 2.

The key thing about goats is the need to move them around about every three weeks to a new location. I can't remember right off the name of the worms that can be a problem. I should also mention we also always had 'houses' for each goat that moved with their mobile tether station. lol (As I always liked to call them. :p )

Hmm. Would raking up their poo help that issue? I already do that for our other animals to try to keep it as clean as possible....

Last edited:
If I remember correctly (ugh, I am going back like 20 years ago) the worms ingested is found when the goats crops the grass and other vegetation too close to the ground where the eggs and worms live. I was looking up some information and came across 130 sqft per goat minimum (dwarf breed) needed for a rotation section. Ideally, you would want 3 sections of 130 sqft per, of course more is always better (And this is super bare minimum, and I wouldn't suggest it, but it can be done.) Larger breeds require about double more per goat (min)You can't really do a stocking rate per acre for goats like you can cattle, as goats are a browser rather than a grazers. You just want to be aware of over crowding where you place them. By that, it mostly means the grass and plant matter being mown down close to the sod. If it starts looking that way in any spots, time to move them.

They really are easy animals to raise. The above is just my personal opinion and experiences.. It may not be correct and someone may have better information to offer. Off of the dairy, we always had 3 full sized goats easily on half an acre of pasture that was bordered by woodlands with no problems at all. No over crowding issues. We moved them every 3 weeks or so depending on how cut down the vegetation was getting.

Last edited:
The key thing about goats is the need to move them around about every three weeks to a new location. I can't remember right off the name of the worms that can be a problem. I should also mention we also always had 'houses' for each goat that moved with their mobile tether station. lol (As I always liked to call them. :p )
what kind of houses, sleeping quarters?

Can some of you post pics of your housing? Tethering them etc...? We have 1 acre surrounded by heavy brush yes, I'm interested to see how other ppl keep their goat's. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom