Lets talk about goats!

my newest baby both males born today my son named them peanut n pumpkin

Last edited:
Can someone help? I will be bringing home a mini saanen Doe in milk with her 9 week old doeling and an 8 week old wether on Saturday.

I will be buying everything I need from Tractor Supply this week. I have read lots of books, done lots of research, etc., but still have questions regarding feeding. I know to keep hay and fresh water out for them at all times. But how and when do I feed each of them their required grain & mineral, etc. ?

1. Do I get 3 separate bowls (one for each goat) and put their grain/mineral/sweet feed in them once per day?

2. There are so many choices of brands and mixtures, I'm overwhelmed. What exactly do I buy from TSC (example: there are so many "sweet feeds" with different % of stuff, a plethora of choices of grain and mineral) ?

3. I know that the Doe in milk will be fed her portion while I milk her. Do I feed the doeling and wether their stuff during that same time? And in 2 separate bowls so I know each is getting their portion?

Thanks for the help....

~J~

Can someone help? I will be bringing home a mini saanen Doe in milk with her 9 week old doeling and an 8 week old wether on Saturday.

I will be buying everything I need from Tractor Supply this week. I have read lots of books, done lots of research, etc., but still have questions regarding feeding. I know to keep hay and fresh water out for them at all times. But how and when do I feed each of them their required grain & mineral, etc. ?

1. Do I get 3 separate bowls (one for each goat) and put their grain/mineral/sweet feed in them once per day?

2. There are so many choices of brands and mixtures, I'm overwhelmed. What exactly do I buy from TSC (example: there are so many "sweet feeds" with different % of stuff, a plethora of choices of grain and mineral) ?

3. I know that the Doe in milk will be fed her portion while I milk her. Do I feed the doeling and wether their stuff during that same time? And in 2 separate bowls so I know each is getting their portion?

Thanks for the help....

~J~

1. I would get 3 bowls and place them separately so that each goat gets what it needs for the day. Otherwise, they may bully eachother or steal feed.

2. I don't know what TSC carries but make sure it has the right amount of copper in it. Some "all purpose" feeds do not, and DO NOT buy sheep feed. Goats need amounts of copper that sheep don't. Look for 40 pars per million for your milking doe.

3. Referring back to #1, I would get the 3 separate bowls and feed all at the same time so that they do not steal food.

Of course, don't base all of your decisions from my one post - but best of luck!

Hello everyone I am new to this group as well as new to goats. I am very excited to say that we put a deposit down on nigerian dwarf doeling and wether a few day ago and should be bringing them home July 1st. We have an old horse stable that my husband is working on fixing up- one side is finished has been converted to a chicken/duck coop. The other side is where we plan on keeping the goats.
Your goats are adorable! Nigerians are so sweet - Sven is a fitting name. The stable into a coop/goat house sounds awesome! ^^

1. Do I get 3 separate bowls (one for each goat) and put their grain/mineral/sweet feed in them once per day? If possible, I would set up a creep feeder for the kids and give momma her grain on the milk stand. A creep feeder allows the kids to eat what they want free choice through the day, allows you to feed them something different than what you are giving momma, and keeps momma from eating free choice grain all day. If that is not an option, I would feed momma on the milk stand and the set out two feed pans or one large one for the kids to share while you are milking her. Do NOT mix their mineral in with the grain. It should be left out free choice for them to east as much or as little as they need.

2. There are so many choices of brands and mixtures, I'm overwhelmed. What exactly do I buy from TSC (example: there are so many "sweet feeds" with different % of stuff, a plethora of choices of grain and mineral) ? Goats need a loose mineral, not a block. If you only have a few goats, you should be able to find the Manna Pro Goat Mineral at TSC and that should work ok for you. It looks like this: https://www.mannapro.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/mp_goat_goatmineral_product.jpg or this: http://www.southernstates.com/catalog/images/Product/medium/11401329.jpg. Put that out free choice for them... don't feed it to them with their grain. Get some type of pan or make something that hangs on the wall so they don't step in it or poop in it. Make it low enough the kids can get to it also. I reitterate... loose mineral, not a block.
As for grain.. ideally you would feed the kids and the doe different (a medicated grower for the kids, a 14-16% protein ration for the doe). If that's not an option, look for some type of goat feed at TSC. Purina and Dumor are the two brands you will probably find the most of... if you are feeding the doe and kids the same thing make sure it is NOT medicated. If you can set up a creep feeder for the kids, get the kids the medicated grower and the doe one of the 16% rations. You can usually get either a pelleted version (it's all pellets) or the textured version that has some grains in it along with the pellets. It really doesn't matter much either way. If your goat is picky, sometimes the pellets are best because there is nothing to pick through. You will know if i t's medicated by looking at the tag. It will state that it's medicated and you will see Decoquinate or Rumensin or monensin listed as an ingredient. If you are feeding a high % protein hay you can get by with the lower protein grain. If it's lower quality hay, you need the higher protein grain. A milking doe needs an overal diet of approximately 14-16% protein, so go from there. I have a hard time finding high protein hay, so I tend to go with the higher protein grain. If you don't know.. just get the 16%, it's a happy medium.
A handful of BOSS (Black Oil Sunflower Seeds that you find in the bird food section) is nice to throw on top of the grain. They really love them and they are good to shine up the coat, etc. Just don't give too much, or that's too much fat in the diet.
Also, don't get suckered in to buying all the other random stuff they sell. They like to market all this "goat stuff" to people and it's just fluff. Also... the safeguard wormer and positive pellet wormer that are marketed as "goat wormer" don't work in most locations, so don't waste your money. It's much better to send off a fecal sample and use the appropriate wormer if they need it than to use the safeguard.
Goats need a few things to thrive.... clean free choice water, free choice quality hay, free choice loose mineral, draft free shelter, and grain if required (milking does, etc) After that, some simple vet care and you have happy healthy goats. :)

3. I know that the Doe in milk will be fed her portion while I milk her. Do I feed the doeling and wether their stuff during that same time? And in 2 separate bowls so I know each is getting their portion? See question #1

Thanks for the help....

~J~

Last edited:

I have two fainting goats- Axl and Slash. One is a brown tri-color and the other black and white. Both have blue eyes. I Highly recommend this breed. They are the sweetest gentlest goats I've ever known. They sit on your lap if you go in there pen. They love to follow me around my yard, like my dog. They get along great with our barn cat (who we got for them- to eat all the mice in their shed). Fainting goat boys, when neutered are nothing but large cuddle bunnys. If you want goats for pets they are the breed for you. Plus, when they get scared or excited to see you- they faint! Its painless and truly adorable.

The picture is of my two little guys enjoying veggie scraps with my niece.

I have two fainting goats- Axl and Slash. One is a brown tri-color and the other black and white. Both have blue eyes. I Highly recommend this breed. They are the sweetest gentlest goats I've ever known. They sit on your lap if you go in there pen. They love to follow me around my yard, like my dog. They get along great with our barn cat (who we got for them- to eat all the mice in their shed). Fainting goat boys, when neutered are nothing but large cuddle bunnys. If you want goats for pets they are the breed for you. Plus, when they get scared or excited to see you- they faint! Its painless and truly adorable.

The picture is of my two little guys enjoying veggie scraps with my niece.

BEST NAMES EVER!!!!
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom