Lets talk about goats!

Another Buck related question- so say I get two does and an unrelated buck. The does have kids and we keep the doelings- unless we separated the buck from the doelings there is nothing keeping him from breeding with them...I've read a lot about line breeding but that's not exactly something I want to handle/deal with...

What do those of you with a buck in your heard do in this case? Do you just sell off your kids?

Last edited:
I would think you'd probably want to separate the buck? Not just because of the possibility of the inbreeding but also because he might breed them as soon as they're sexually mature or rebreed the mother right after she has them and you don't want that, you want them to mature/recover enough first. So I think either way you would have to separate him. That said, I would think breeding back to him the first generation wouldn't be such a big deal but after that you probably wouldn't want to cause the more generations you get the more inbred it gets/more related animals you have and the more likely you are to run into problems so you'd probably eventually either need to find an unrelated buck or some unrelated does to add in new blood. Or you could just avoid all of these problems and just find a stud. Especially if you are only getting two does, you really don't need your own herd sire. Unless you want to breed for something specific.

But I'm not a goat expert and don't have goats atm, just basing my answers off what I've read about them and seen suggested as well as what I know about other animals, so I'll let someone with actual real life experience answer. They may have a totally different opinion or suggestions

Last edited:
Another Buck related question- so say I get two does and an unrelated buck. The does have kids and we keep the doelings- unless we separated the buck from the doelings there is nothing keeping him from breeding with them...I've read a lot about line breeding but that's not exactly something I want to handle/deal with...

What do those of you with a buck in your heard do in this case? Do you just sell off your kids?

separate

Hey, anyone know where the best place is to list spotted boer goats for sale besides Craigslist? Have this doeling I wanna sell but sick of tire kickers and spam emails. I get flooded with them.

Back
Top Bottom