Lets talk about goats!

My boys decided to take a nap in duck coop with two broody Pekings. Not sure how they could sleep with ducks chewing on their backs lol
20170531_153507.jpg

1. Milk can be consumed raw.
2. As to how much they eat, it depends. Mini goats will eat less than big ones. A milking goat needs more feed than a dry goat. Get a good book on goats and it will tell you how much feed they need. The Storey books are good for beginners.
3. They do need their feet trimmed about every six weeks or so.
4. They should have access to a mineral supplement. The kind of mineral will depend on what they are fed. Goats fed primarily on alfalfa will need a different mix than those fed a grass hay.
5. Goats need high quality hay. Meaning fine stemmed, leafy, and free of dust or mold. Otherwise they will waste more than they eat.
6. Most livestock, including goats, will generally leave poisonous plants alone. They exception is if they are underfed and then out of desperation they may eat things that are toxic.
7. As for care, they need to be fed regularly. They need access to plenty of clean fresh water, a salt block, and loose minerals. They should be vaccinated with CD/T to prevent tetanus and entertoxemia. Occasionally they may need a dusting of louse powder. The need their feet trimmed about every six weeks.They need a dry place to sleep.
8.Lots of work like a horse? I have no idea what you mean. I never found my horses took a lot of work to care for them properly.
9.Smelly like rabbits? My rabbits were never smelly. Any animal will be smelly if it is kept in dirty quarters with wet bedding and inadequate ventilation.
9. Unless you tease and torment them they are not mean. They same can be said of most other animals.
10. If you plan on breeding them, you will need access to a buck. For just a few goats it makes more sense to buy stud service than to own a buck.
11. We ate the excess male kids and sold the females.
12. The best breed is the one you like.
13. Storey's Guide to Raising Goats will answer your questions on space and a lot of other things as well

I wanted goats for milk and I thought it would be fun, instead I ended up peacocks and having the problems you get with them I now cant imagine what goats would be like as there is a lot more work involved so mad props to all you and best of luck

welp, my fiancé and I are taking the leap from just chickens, guinea hens, turkey, and ducks to getting 2 oberhasli goats 1 doeling 1 wether. going to go pick them out today and will be ready mid june... just wanted to share our excitement

Hi. I am thinking of getting some goats mainly to help control overgrowth of weeds, grass and various wild berries. I have panel fencing for my horses and the goats will be in the same pasture area. Do you know of a good, inexpensive way to cover the panels so the goats cannot get out?

Back
Top Bottom