Lets Talk Breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cjhubbs, Feb 5, 2013.

1. cjhubbs

cjhubbs Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2012
    NH
    Hey Everyone,
    So I am trying to convince my parents that we need a new breed of chickens because well I want to be able to sell chicks for a decent profit (I know I am selfish aren't I). We have had chickens for over 5 years now and have had quite a few different breeds, Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire Red, Bard Rock, Wyandote, Leghorn etc. Currently, we have a flock of Golden Comet Chickens from Mt. Healthy Hatchery and they are awesome birds. We have 9 hens and tend to always get 9 eggs a day however lately we have been finding 12 eggs in the coop( laying twice a day perhaps even in the winter?). Secondly the Roosters get rather big and they could make decent fryers and they have a good temperment. So all though it sounds like there should be no reason for me to want a different breed of chicken I do. The only major problem I have with the breed is that they don't breed true and we would like to get independant from the hatcheries in getting chicks when we need them.

I am on a hunt at the moment to find the perfect breed of chicken for us. I was wondering if you all had any suggestions for a breed of chicken that may fit the following criteria. Good temperment, awesome egg layers even through the winter, decent fryers, can breed true, look nice and possibly are sex link. Soif you have any breed suggestions, I would love to hear them. Thanks so much for the help!

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    There are many good breed out there. You have to look at pictures and read up on each breed & variety, then decide for yourself what you would like.

Just remember people can recommend this one or that one but it may not work for you.

You want broody hens to raise babies for you, Buff Orpingtons will fill that bill as will Silkies.

3. cjhubbs

cjhubbs Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2012
    NH
    Thanks for the help. I have looked through quite a few breeds and have narrowed my choses down to these breeds of chicken. Wyandotte,Welsummer, Marans, Le Fleche, Deleware, Chantecler, Austrolorp, and Anacona. Now I just need to find a way to narrow the list down to 2-3 breeds. I was wondering if any of you have had experience with any of these breeds? I guess the first question I should ask is do any of you know if any of the breeds on my list tend to not lay every day or every other day or that tends to be aggressive? Thanks!

4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]
    Marans, not productive eggs layers because of egg color. The eggs sell real well and are in demand. However, because the eggs need to stay in the hen longer to get painted darker, you won't get eggs from every hen each day. Come on over to the Heritage Large Fow thread and ask these questions. Some of the most elite breeders in poultry hang out there and are so helpful with counsel. Much on the breeds in which you are interested.
    Plus they are very helpful to help breeders find top quality stock in these breeds.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/400344/heritage-large-fowl-thread/10730

Best Success,
    Karen

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  5. aoccl

aoccl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2012
    Wyandottes tend to lay medium to medium small eggs, Welsummers are better layers than Marans but still nothing special, La Fleche are not that meaty, Delawares could work, Austrolorps are great but you feed a big hen to get a big egg, Anaconas are not meaty either. Really best thing in your case would be the Buckeys or Dominques if you want purebreds. Or just order gold comet pullets and order a hatchery choice male chick assortment, those are generally really cheap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by