Let's talk flock! What is your flock size to yard/land ratio?

JesNflock

Songster
10 Years
Sep 11, 2013
NE Florida,US
What do you feel is a good amount of chickens for the size yard/land you have?
What types of birds do you have?
Are they LF, bantam, or a mixture or both sizes?
Are the free range or in a run?
How much yard do you have?

I have about 35-40 chickens, consisting of both LF fowl and bantams who free range all day on about half an acre. They each have there favorite spots in the yard where they hang out in groups...unfortunately, my back patio is a favorite spot to a few. lol

I have 18 currently, and when they free range on my half acre backyard (or wherever they wander to) it seems like a good ratio, but I had to build a run because of predators, and I feel really bad for them when they are in the run, like there are too many of them. The coop was built for like 40 chickens, so they can roost and have parties if they wanted, but man... that run! It makes me think I should only have 5, and then I am sad because I don't want to give any up :'(

(my backyard is very unlevel, and that dictated the size of the run)

Yeah, predators like dictating how you are able to raise your flock. Luckily, I have a boxer, who is really good at keeping them at bay. (She has gotten into it a few times with opossum and a huge raccoon in the early morning before they are let out for the day.)

I have 18 currently, and when they free range on my half acre backyard (or wherever they wander to) it seems like a good ratio, but I had to build a run because of predators, and I feel really bad for them when they are in the run, like there are too many of them. The coop was built for like 40 chickens, so they can roost and have parties if they wanted, but man... that run! It makes me think I should only have 5, and then I am sad because I don't want to give any up :'(

(my backyard is very unlevel, and that dictated the size of the run)
So, are yours LF ?

Nice!! I have a greyhound, but she isn't particularly defensive, just kind of there haha. The run does a great job of keeping them safe, but it's obvious they want to be free ranging.

I'm sorry, I don't know what LF means.

Nice!! I have a greyhound, but she isn't particularly defensive, just kind of there haha. The run does a great job of keeping them safe, but it's obvious they want to be free ranging.

I'm sorry, I don't know what LF means.
Oh, sorry about that LF = Large Fowl

Ahhh ok! I should have realized that lol.

6 of them are standard size, the biggest one is a silver barred maran, she's a big lady! The biggest one I ever had was a easter egger rooster, and wow was he huge. But he was mean to the hens (and me) so I had to get rid of him. I love bantams, so I ended up with lots of them hehe.

While the size of your physical set up should determine the maximum size of your flock, I think two other things need to be considered. The cost of feed and the number of eggs you need. Reducing the size of your flock is the easiest way to decrease your feed bill. This also decreases the amount of work involved.

My flock numbers change dramatically through the year. I have a laying flock and roos, then broody hens and chicks, in the height of the summer, the flock will be more than double the winter flock. I have all large fowl.

Many people on here talk about free ranging so they can have more numbers, and you can cheat that way in the summer. Come winter, my birds spend close to 14 hours out of 24 on the roost with the long nights. That coop needs to measure so as to fit the size of the flock in it. You should not cheat then or you will get flock problems.

Mrs K

While the size of your physical set up should determine the maximum size of your flock, I think two other things need to be considered. The cost of feed and the number of eggs you need. Reducing the size of your flock is the easiest way to decrease your feed bill. This also decreases the amount of work involved.

My flock numbers change dramatically through the year. I have a laying flock and roos, then broody hens and chicks, in the height of the summer, the flock will be more than double the winter flock. I have all large fowl.

Many people on here talk about free ranging so they can have more numbers, and you can cheat that way in the summer. Come winter, my birds spend close to 14 hours out of 24 on the roost with the long nights. That coop needs to measure so as to fit the size of the flock in it. You should not cheat then or you will get flock problems.

Mrs K
I agree coop space is a definite must have. I live in Florida so my birds don't spend much time in the coops, even in winter; I have to worry more about space and shade so they aren't too hot in summer.

Back
Top Bottom