• Yes I own 5+!

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • No but I want to some day!

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • No but they interest me!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
wow the most we raise is 3 sals with litters

and yes the mothers can be espeacially if you step into the furrowing crate my dad told me once that even though there in that crate and your in side back they can still easily bite you my dad said when he was little he bout lost his leg

I have never had that happen except the sal normally wants to chew on my boot and we spend a little bit of extra pittle time outside like if we was filling the waters up

do you still hog farm?

No, lol. there was times when we had as many as 600 pigs so, I don't miss it.

I'd figured I'd share my pigs as I usually am only on here for chickens and ducks lol. This is my 2nd year raising feeder pigs and gonna be my first year raising breeders. The first pic of the two are my feeders, the white with black spots is a Gloucestershire old spot berkshire cross, and the red spotted one is a hereford berkshire cross, the white spotted one is gonna go here soon so I'm excited to see how she turned out. We pasture raised these two which was something new for me as we had our pigs in a small area the year before. Pasture raising was a lot better because it saved us money, time, and stress. At first I was not wanting to get pigs because I thought they smell really bad, were noisy, but I actually really liked em. Besides the fact that they got out a lot on us last year, they proved me wrong. Now I'm looking forward to breeding pigs this year. The second pigture is of my breeding stock. 2 hereford gilts and a hereford boar. I just got these on Sunday from a national breeder down in oregon. I live in washington so I had quite a ways to drive to get them, but I tell you they were worth it. I actually was getting impatient on buying the Herefords because I was on a waiting list for them from another national breeder near me, I was thinking about buy Berkshires since they seemed really cool and a nice looking breed, but I looked around, called people here and there and finally found the breeders in Oregon. But really pigs are a lot of fun, it's a learning process but just gotta do a lot of researching a learn different ways you can raise em.

I'd figured I'd share my pigs as I usually am only on here for chickens and ducks lol. This is my 2nd year raising feeder pigs and gonna be my first year raising breeders. The first pic of the two are my feeders, the white with black spots is a Gloucestershire old spot berkshire cross, and the red spotted one is a hereford berkshire cross, the white spotted one is gonna go here soon so I'm excited to see how she turned out. We pasture raised these two which was something new for me as we had our pigs in a small area the year before. Pasture raising was a lot better because it saved us money, time, and stress. At first I was not wanting to get pigs because I thought they smell really bad, were noisy, but I actually really liked em. Besides the fact that they got out a lot on us last year, they proved me wrong. Now I'm looking forward to breeding pigs this year. The second pigture is of my breeding stock. 2 hereford gilts and a hereford boar. I just got these on Sunday from a national breeder down in oregon. I live in washington so I had quite a ways to drive to get them, but I tell you they were worth it. I actually was getting impatient on buying the Herefords because I was on a waiting list for them from another national breeder near me, I was thinking about buy Berkshires since they seemed really cool and a nice looking breed, but I looked around, called people here and there and finally found the breeders in Oregon. But really pigs are a lot of fun, it's a learning process but just gotta do a lot of researching a learn different ways you can raise em.
thumbsup.gif

We pasture pigs too. It is so much better than raising them off the ground!

that is so true they start to grow on you and it is a learning process hey I really like your story would you mind sharing it on my hog thread

Back
Top Bottom