Let's talk "relocation"

Actually ... 2 miles is about 3 km ...

In California, according to the California Dept of Fish & Game, Section 465, (G) (1), the law states that animals trapped must be released on site or killed.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=45902

Lol thanks for calling attention to my blonde-ness...km, mile...I'm easily confused by numbers ;)

THAT was the one I remember...kill or release. On the spot. There was something about mountain lion needing to be relocated at least 200 miles away? I thought THAT was a bit extreme... Wow that's half the state of CO to relocate a big cat. Serious stuff.

From Arizonia ...

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/17/00306.htm&Title=17&DocType=ARS

17-306. Importation, transportation, release or possession of live wildlife; violations; classification
A. No person shall import or transport into this state or sell, trade or release within this state or have in the person's possession any live wildlife except as authorized by the commission or as defined in title 3, chapter 16.

(Title 3, chapter 16 is aquaculture ...) http://www.azleg.gov/ArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp?Title=3

From - http://azgfdportal.devaz.gov/portalimages/files/regs/2013-14 Trapping Regs(1).pdf

Sorry I can't "copy and paste" the content, my phone only will "select" one "word" ...

Top middle of page one ...

Then there is this ... Maybe fits us better?

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/3/02401.htm&Title=3&DocType=ARS
3-2401. Control of destructive animals and noxious rodents; agreements and cooperation with federal agencies; exception

A. The director shall cooperate with the animal and plant health inspection service of the United States department of agriculture in the control and destruction or relocation of predatory wildlife, noxious rodents and related animals that are injurious to livestock, poultry, game, agriculture, other industries and the public health in accordance with organized and systematic plans of the animal and plant health inspection service. For such purposes, the director shall enter into written agreements with the animal and plant health inspection service regarding the methods and procedure to be followed, the extent of supervision to be exercised by the state and federal agencies, respectively, and the use and expenditure of state funds. The director, in cooperation with the animal and plant health inspection service, may also enter into cooperative agreements with other governmental agencies and counties of the state to promote the control and destruction of predatory wildlife, noxious rodents and related animals.
B. The authority to destroy predatory wildlife, noxious rodents and related animals does not include big game animals as defined in section 17-101, except:
1. Bear and mountain lion taken pursuant to section 17-302.

Sounds like a lot of red tape ... ;)

From Arizonia ...

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/17/00306.htm&Title=17&DocType=ARS
(Title 3, chapter 16 is aquaculture ...) http://www.azleg.gov/ArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp?Title=3

From - http://azgfdportal.devaz.gov/portalimages/files/regs/2013-14 Trapping Regs(1).pdf

Sorry I can't "copy and paste" the content, my phone only will "select" one "word" ...

Top middle of page one ...

Then there is this ... Maybe fits us better?

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/3/02401.htm&Title=3&DocType=ARS
Sounds like a lot of red tape ... ;)

WOW....Az is some serious business! That's a LOT of hoops to go through to relocate....

I think that is pretty good to be so strict; I don't knowuch about the ecosystem there, but I have a sis in Maricopa, maybe I should give her a jingle lol... More delicate environment could mean stricter guidelines....

I find that very interesting, thanks for sharing!

After re-reading the "relocation" exception for AZ ... Seems only "officials" can do it, not individuals ... Trappers in General must either release, or kill.

After re-reading the "relocation" exception for AZ ... Seems only "officials" can do it, not individuals ... Trappers in General must either release, or kill.

I noticed that too!.... I think that would be a plus; keep possibly misinformed/less than compliant landowners from making a decision on their own without proper knowledge of the effects of the relocation.

Kudos to AZ, need more informed decisions to be made when its concerning the possibility if devastating an ecosystem...

Are there certain protected species down there that would cause so much concern? All it would take is one bad pathogen to wipe out roadrunners, for instance....

Well that's why i was asking which STATE you were from; the different laws regarding each STATE, not a functioning governmental agency, but the actual STATE laws..

That goes without saying, just because something is legal, doesn't mean it's ethical.

TGAT right there is what I'm looking for, LEGAL vs ETHICAL. Not all "states" are too bright when it comes to keeping their noses clean and taking care of their own people, and not causing neighboring states the hassle of THEIR mismanagement.

An awful lot like MY neighbors lol
wink.png

The truth is that there are NO "functioning" government agencies that have or that exercise actual ETHICAL CONTROL over either native nor exotic species of plants or animals..

A case in point is the tree squeezers in the Tennessee River Valley who became upset that their favorite squeezing trees were being prayed on by beavers. Instead of allowing beaver trapping on Federal land to manage the beaver population to what the environment can maintain, as well providing a source of revenue, the malfunctioning government agency's solution was to import alligators from the swamps of South West Louisiana and then release these reptiles into North Alabama waters. They did this without an environmental impact statement nor any study or notice given to the citizens in the affected area. Since the time of Adam, or at least since Noah got his pilots licence, the Great Muscle Shoals (a 20 mile long stretch of rapids) had kept gators as well as cyprus trees from ascending the Tennessee River. Now thinks to 4 un-functional governmental agencies we now enjoy alligators as well as cyprus trees in our public waters. I don't think that alligators even like the taste of beaver meat.

The Feds released 60 of these cute little lizards and when the non tree squeezing human population cried foul, the Government quickly hired a pack of gator trappers to corral these reptiles yet again. Evidently Troy Landry's family was not among these gator trappers because after 6 months of looking, searching, and trapping they recovered only 3 out of the original 60 gators that they released. Don't think that the coon or possum population is going to go bust if you destroy a few problem coons or possums. You are only flattering your vermin catching ability by thinking that your actions have this wide reaching effect. .

The truth is that there are NO "functioning" government agencies that have or that exercise actual ETHICAL CONTROL over either native nor exotic species of plants or animals..

A case in point is the tree squeezers in the Tennessee River Valley who became upset that their favorite squeezing trees were being prayed on by beavers.  Instead of allowing beaver trapping on Federal land to manage the beaver population to what the environment can maintain, as well providing a source of revenue, the malfunctioning government agency's solution was to import alligators from the swamps of South West Louisiana and then release these reptiles into North Alabama waters.  They did this without an environmental impact statement nor any study or notice given to the citizens in the affected area.  Since the time of Adam, or at least since Noah got his pilots licence, the Great Muscle Shoals (a 20 mile long stretch of rapids) had kept gators as well as cyprus trees from ascending the Tennessee River.  Now thinks to 4 un-functional governmental agencies we now enjoy alligators as well as cyprus trees in our public waters.  I don't think that alligators even like the taste of beaver meat.  

The Feds released 60 of these cute little lizards and when the non tree squeezing human population cried foul, the Government quickly hired a pack of gator trappers to corral these reptiles yet again.  Evidently Troy Landry's family was not among these gator trappers because after 6 months of looking, searching, and trapping they recovered only 3 out of the original 60 gators that they released.  Don't think that the coon or  possum population is going to go bust if you destroy a few problem coons or possums.  You are only flattering your vermin catching ability by thinking that your actions have this wide reaching effect. .  

EXCELLENT EXAMPLE....

I guess that's what is interesting; of COURSE ethical vs legal, legal will trump just with numbers.... But certain areas haveca lackadaisical approach where others seem to also it down hard with regulations and permits and studies....

Where is the line between trusting that a landowner can even comprehend what will happen when our own "state officials" can't comprehend it?

I use Pandas as an example, because its an easy one... It's too late. They can only eat one thing and that one thing is so meager in nutritional value that they struggle no matter what, and people "donate" billions for these animals. Don't get me wrong, they're adorable, and important... But that ecosystem is GONE. Itcataetsxa chain event of other species failing, and then invasive moving in....

Coons...invasive... Billions of them. Everywhere. It's NOT going to hurt to control the population; in fact, it will BENEFIT from the removal of a few ;)

I too am in Colorado. I was told by the division of wildlife that animals such as fox or raccoon caught in a live trap could NOT be relocated due to the risk of rabies going with them or them going to where rabies is and getting it.

Ethical to relocate an animal into an area that is possibly infected with rabies? I don't think so.
Legal to relocate them? Not where I live.

The great tumble weed was imported to this country as well. Now whole towns are buried in it every year.

Good discussion here, thanks. I get calls from sweet people wanting to find baby raccoon raisers, and fortunately there aren't any in the area any more! Yes! I offer to humanely euthanize any that they have, not popular, but the right choice. Mary

Back
Top Bottom