Lets try again.....maybe the dog WONT kill them this time......

6mutts

Songster
11 Years
Oct 6, 2008
St. Clair, MO
Well I've gone through 2 flocks of chickens this year, thanx to the neighbors dog. First this spring, my very first chickens, so sweet and tame....after 2 months in their coop the dog next door came over and literally scared them all to death. Didn't even bother to eat any of them, she just ran them around until they were exhausted and fell dead. Next, another batch that after months in the brooding box went out to the coop and THAT afternoon they were dead from the same reason. After that I decided to give up.....after all we live in a subdivision and can't really get mad since we aren't really supposed to have game fowl anyways. Well a friend called and told me there was a farm near by that the family had abandoned and there were all kinds of livestock that had been left. I told her I would take the chickens they could catch. Well we caught 6 bantams and they fit perfectly in my little backyard coop. We moved the coop out of sight from the dog and this weekend we are reinforcing the coop with hardware clothe put on with washers and screw instead or chicken wire and staples--which the dog kept ripping off and teaaring through. Hopefully these will last longer.................... You know the ironic thing? I actually saved this dog from a kill shelter when she was emaciated and horably sick, when she was better my neighbors adopted her. I saved her and now she kills all my chickens!

Hope you have better luck this time with your neighbors dog and
welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
Not quite sure that would go over well seeing as though we live in a subdivision. Me and my husband have joked about it though. Just to think of how much time and money have been wasted this year on chickens and not oNE SINGLE EGG! The kids would be heartbroken if we did that. That dog used to live here and we literally tube fed her for a month while she recovered. DARNED DOG!

Quote:
Not quite sure that would go over well seeing as though we live in a subdivision. Me and my husband have joked about it though. Just to think of how much time and money have been wasted this year on chickens and not oNE SINGLE EGG! The kids would be heartbroken if we did that. That dog used to live here and we literally tube fed her for a month while she recovered. DARNED DOG!

I don't mean kill it. Even if you had a BB gun or a paintball gun, you could sting her enough to scare her.
Good luck with finding a solution.

Quote:

I don't mean kill it. Even if you had a BB gun or a paintball gun, you could sting her enough to scare her.
Good luck with finding a solution.

oooooo a bb gun.........yes, that might be fun!

I live in a subdivsion also and I don't think I would put up with that. They should be keeping their dog at home and not on your property. i realize you have an attatchment to this dog but it shouldn't be allowed to kill your pets either.

Better luck this time. Re-enforcing everything is a great start, but I would also try to find a way to keep the dog off of your property.

Quote:
I am over the attachment, doesn't bother me any to scare her or whatever. Don't know what I will do if it happens this time, which it probably will... The lady didn't even appologize last time, acted like it was my fault. I mean, they have a 8 ft. fence, why can't she stay in there? She gets out the front door and they can't evn come over here and retrieve her. It's not like they don't know where she runs off to, She always comes right over here to my yard. AARRGGHHH!!!!!!! This is why you should NEVER be more than aquaintances with your neighbor....makes things too difficult.

In that kind of situation they limit my choices. I do use a BB gun but a call to the local animal control could also be an option.

Back
Top Bottom