Letter from a Retail Worker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Terrie - I worked at Safeway for the year we lived in Seattle - you Washington state people are funny about Iowans (at least there they were)

"It seems as though 28 cashiers cannot keep up with the demand of those shoppers who have decided to wait until the last week to complete their Christmas shopping. There is an easy solution to this and it is not "opening up more registers."

You'll have to explain that one to me. Why wouldn't opening up more registers help?

Actually this seams to be a problem at our local wally world regardless of the time of year. There will be maybe four or five registers open and a long line of closed registers. And don't even get me started on the pharmacy there. You may as well pack a lunch if you need a prescription filled.

We only HAVE 28 registers in the store. Can't open up what isn't there...
wink.png

Quote:
I can sympathize with you. When we moved to TX, DH retired after working 27 years in the grocery business, mostly in management. We really enjoy having DH home on the weekends and holidays now, though it did take some getting used to. My favorite is when customer would complain about the stores being open on Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve, but would be there shopping.
he.gif

Last edited:
on the other side of the coin, if you have a customer who says they understand and are being patient, say thank you or let them know you appreciate it

Sorry, I am a rude customer sometimes, just it gets my goat when you go to a toy store at Christmas and ask if they have a certain toy that you saw in their catalog and they say "no we are out of stock" then you walk around looking at other stuff to buy and all of the suddent there was what you were asking for, in plain sight and with enough stock to give to each kid in the whole world.
I do go back and complain to the person and ask to speak to their supervisor.
There are some great helpful store staff out there, but there are also alot of idiots, who shouldn't have a job at all with their attitudes and shear laziness.
I get mad when there is a reason to be, otherwise if I am treated well, then I return the kindness, by even asking to speak to their supervisor and telling them what a great employee they have.
Anyways, I don't like Christmas shopping - baah humbug. I think the real meaning of Christmas has been lost in commercial hype.
It's also been forgotten by our children that it is the thought that counts - not how much the dam thing was. This puts presure on parents to go out and over spend at Christmas and spend the whole new year paying it off, just to start all over again.
Not trying to grumble, just my thoughts on this topic, thats all.
Hope everyone has a real Christmas, full of love, laughter, family and friends.

And I seem to remember someone had a thread on this site about six months ago complaining about the "How are you doing today" greeting from a cashier. Don't they realize that management makes them say that?

Rufus

Quote:
Why would that bother anyone?

Yeah really!!!

We went to lunch for our annual nice meal at Red Lobster. The waiter comes up and says "My name is XX and I will serve you well today." The proceeded to forget every request, screw up every order.... Classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom