letting broody mamas raise chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lwemmer, May 18, 2012.

1. lwemmer

lwemmer In the Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    Thanks for all the replies. I must have been one of those kids who didn't experience enough death because it would make me very sad if the chicks got killed by the other chickens or goats. I'd probably be more saddened then my kids would because I seem to be the one most attached to all our animals!

I do have a chicken tractor in the fenced area with the goats and chicken coop that I could move broody mama and eggs into. I'm thinking it wouldn't be too hard to move the cat carrier with her in there and set it inside. I wouldn't be able to fit it inside the top part and raise the ladder at night though so she would be a bit more susceptible to predators in there than in the big coop. Another option would be to move her and the chicks in there after they hatch. Like I said, broody mama is a bantam and she is pretty low in the pecking order. She might be bottom at the moment. She was a chicken that someone found injured and gave to us so she got introduced to our other chickens when they all were being transferred from a smaller fenced area to the current larger one. I think she has survived because she runs like road runner and was able to escape until they started to accept her. I'm still not sure what to do because I don't have a clear feeling either way on what is best.... but thanks for all the feedback. It does really help to hear what others have experienced and has worked (or not) for them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: