Letting freshly butchered meat "rest" before cooking?

I recently processed some surplus cockerels I've been raising for about 6 months, and also a 2-year-old roo that someone gave to me. I plucked & gutted them, then let them rest in plastic bags in the refrigerator for 3 days. The younger birds were cut into pieces to store in the freezer, but I skinned and simmered the older roo along with everyone else's backs & wings. I don't know if it was because he was older, but his skin was tougher & more rubbery than the others. I used a sharp paring knife to help separate it from the meat.

I just simmered all the meat in broth for a couple of hours and it all came out nice & tender. I picked it all off the bones to freeze for later use.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I have cooked 2 of the roosters in the slow cooker and they were SO good! I appreciate all of the help for a newbie! It was worlds different than one first flop!

Thanks for the love over the post! I'm the first in my family to raise chickens, so I don't have a lot of knowledge passed down. All learn as you go. Brining was a remarkable discovery. mmmmmmmmmmm

Originally Posted by jgervais
I've heard to let them rest for 24hrs at least otherwise the meat will be tough due to rigor mortis. I also let mine soak in a salt water brine for a few hours.

we just butchered ours sunday:
http://simplelifeainteasy.blogspot.com/2011/11/slow-food-dorking-chickens.html

so i processed tonight... won't be back until the 24 to put in a brine and will cook the 25... is that too long? they are in the fridge, covered in plastic.

Back
Top Bottom