Letting Go of Dreams

eviehokie

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2016
Due to circumstances beyond my control, I am being forced into selling off my flock of over 100 birds. My family is running me off the place I had been keeping them, so I am being forced into letting go of my small business. I had grown really attached to my flock and it breaks my heart to have to leave everything I cared about. We were trying to get a place outside of town, but my husband has given up in discouragement saying that we could never afford our own place. He is giving up his dreams of agriculture which we had both been working so hard on for the past 5 years. We recently had to sell off our herd of cows because of this situation out here which I know really hurt him. I'm just in a state of despair. I don't know if I'm just not seeing things clearly or if we really do just need to give up and live a quit life in town for the rest of our lives never pursuing our dreams. We're not even in our mid-20s yet, and giving up just feels like ripping our hearts out. Does anyone have any advice? It feels like agriculture is a rich man's game and unless you inherit land, resources, and money you can never work your way up.
1f622.png

Last edited:
hugs.gif
Regroup and do what you have to do for the moment, but don't give up the dream. Keep looking towards the future and make every move help get you one step closer to what you want. You're kids yet (no offense meant by that at 75 almost everyone is a kid) - you have your lifetimes before you. When we were first married, the Princess and I scrimped and saved - bought things when we could afford them not when we wanted them. It may have been easier back then, but those principles still work today. My grandfather took away my father's dream, and it made a changed man of my father. Early on I determined that nothing would deter me from getting where I wanted to be. Don't give up. There's time for you to get there.
hugs.gif

hugs.gif
I'm very sorry for you. I agree 100% with Sourland - maybe u don't have to sell everything. Don't give up, keep on trying...A little is better than none, right? And, soon, with proper management and care, that little could grow into more than you had at first! And you're older than me (I'm 12), but it still seems relatively early for you guys to give up your dream. Keep on going!! You have our support
hugs.gif

Thank y'all so much. This was really what we needed to hear right now. We've been surrounded by so many unkind people lately we were starting to believe our situation really was hopeless. Bless your souls for your words of encouragement. You have no idea how much they mean.

Thank you for the kind words in response to our kind words!
smile.png
I'm in between poultry right now - I had two ducks, but they passed in June of 2016...Let me tell you, I would much much rather have them than not have them, Even tho we are getting new ducks in the spring (Argh I cant wait that long!!). So, even though you'll be selling a hundred chickens instead of having two ducks die, and even though I am nowhere near to what u are dealing with (A herd of cows? I want a herd of cows!), I recommend that you keep whatever you can (I kept my hamster, he's rlly sweet like a tiny puppy). Whatever you have will bring you joy and happiness, and you'll be thankful you kept them! And then, when you're able, you can buy more cows, or chickens, or Ducks in the Spring. And even though they won't be what you had, they might just surprise you!

Thank you for the kind words in response to our kind words! :) ​  I'm in between poultry right now - I had two ducks, but they passed in June of 2016...Let me tell you, I would much much rather have them than not have them, Even tho we are getting new ducks in the spring (Argh I cant wait that long!!). So, even though you'll be selling a hundred chickens instead of having two ducks die, and even though I am nowhere near to what u are dealing with (A herd of cows? I want a herd of cows!), I recommend that you keep whatever you can (I kept my hamster, he's rlly sweet like a tiny puppy). Whatever you have will bring you joy and happiness, and you'll be thankful you kept them! And then, when you're able, you can buy more cows, or chickens, or Ducks in the Spring. And even though they won't be what you had, they might just surprise you!

We could have a few chickens where we are planning on moving!
263a.png
I may be able to keep a few and at least have eggs for us. I currently have a pregnant milk goat that is due in March, but I'll have to leave her behind as well. Maybe within a couple of years we'll have enough saved up to actually buy our own place for animals, but in the meantime, maybe you're right and we need to look at this as a little detour on our journey.
1f60a.png

And I'm so sorry to hear about your ducks! I got started in poultry with only 2 ducks as well! I bought them from tractor supply when I was in college and they lived in my apartment with me. Sounds messy, but duck diapers took care of it until I married my husband and we moved outside of town.
1f601.png

Try to stay where you are - Go down fighting! Only sell what you have to, and as little as you can. But, if you do eventually have to leave, keep what you can, save what you can, and maybe you can save and scrounge up enough to buy your own place for the animals.
I mean, that's what I'd do. You may opt to do something different, because I'm only twelve :)

Hahaha! I like your style kid! Keep that attitude and I betcha you'll go far in life! Thanks again for the encouragement! You've got a good heart.
263a.png

Back
Top Bottom