Letting momma duck raise babies

ehutchinson688

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2023
I’ve decided to let my call duck hatch and raise some babies so I can grow my little flock a bit! I’m brand new to the backyard poultry scene and would love to hear from other call duck parents!
1) do you separate the drake from mom and babies? And for how long? My guy is a sweetheart and I can’t see him being a jerk to them but they are still animals so I’m prepared to take measures if I need to!
2)what does everyone eat while the ducklings are growing? Should I remove the adult food so they don’t accidentally eat it? Can the adults eat just duckling feed?
3) how do you handle water? The parents have a heated dog bowl for their drinking water that I think is too tall for babies to get into. Do you provide separate smaller waterers for them? And how long do I need to worry about them with the swimming pool?
Thanks so much! Would love pictures of your set ups ❤️

Hi there. I didn’t have call ducks, I had Runners. However, my mamas always had the babies out with the rest of the gang pretty much immediately. My drake could have cared less about them, the rest of the girls were just curious. This has been my son’s approach as well as he hasn’t any issues.

I did have a separate waterer, one I used for chickens, so they always had access. They started with a paint tray, the ones you use with a roller; could walk in like it was a beach and play and splash around in the deep end. Then they got a gallon dog water bowl, then a pool, etc. it depends on your set up with your adult birds and how easily babies can access it.

I fed an all flock feed, good for everyone. If baby food meets the nutritional requirements of the adults then I would use that if I couldn’t get the all flock.

Good luck!

Ancona, not Calls. Iirc Calls can have trouble hatching, thus all the assisted posts.

1) My drakes can be bullies so I add a baby escape area that is too small for adults. I just wish the overprotective Momma who comes flying at me would go after him and teach him manners. It's -very- important when they start hitting puberty to let them get away from randy/territorial drake.

2) Mine free range and eat the same Purina duck as the adults.

3) Pie plate, oil pan, low storage box as they grow. Add rocks for safety and in/out as needed. Surrounded by fencing that is too narrow for adults or they'd bathe/mud pie the baby water. Mine were in the big pool with mom about 2 days after she left the nest.

Back
Top Bottom