Letting my ducks go or should I put them in a pen?

amjustice

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2017
I got ducklings a little over a month ago and they are definitely ready to be outside. My friend has a pond and thats where I am taking them. Here are my ideas.
1) Letting them go.
Will they be able to take care of themselves? Ill still provide food but there are other ducks out there and Im afraid they might try to attack mine.
2) Building a pen.
Would it be better to keep them in a pen I am currently building for a little while until they get used to being on their own more? They will have food and water. Or should I keep them in the pen permanently? I feel like that would be cruel considering how much land they have and they would love the pond there.
PLEASE help!!! I keep posting about it and im not gettig anything back but my parents are telling me its time they need to go. Its cruel to kee them from being outside and free in this great weather. I live in the city

Last edited:
it’s interesting reading the comments. Especially the ones from city folks who have little hands on experience with animals. Natural selection has nothing to do with feelings. Some things can be learned by reading. Some things are learned through experience.
Domesticated animals should not be subject to natural selection because of owner neglect. Humans changed their very nature when we domesticated them and so we are 100% responsible for caring for and protecting them.

Proper animal husbandry means we need to take care of the things our animals would normally learn growing up in nature or the things they can no longer do because we changed them so much. Proper animal husbandry means we don't toss them out totally unprotected and say "Oh well, it's just natural selection! They should have been smarter/faster/better..." What a terribly cruel and callous way to raise animals we have essentially created to be dependent on us.

If you release them on to the pond the chances of them ending up dead are a lot higher than the changes of them living a long, happy life. First of all, domestically raised ducks aren't really equipped to live out on their own, especially if it's a breed that can't fly. I don't think your one-month old ducklings would stand much of a chance. You said you would provide food but are you going to go out there twice a day and give them food? Otherwise you have no way of guaranteeing they get food. It would be more likely that something else would come along and eat all the food, like the other ducks you mentioned. Speaking of these ducks, yes they would probably attack your ducklings. Ducks are flock animals and will protect their flock from invaders; which is what your ducklings would be in this case.

Second, everyone likes the taste of duck. Any predator would love the chance to eat a defenseless duckling. Without enclosures to protect them ducks are susceptible to dogs, coyotes, foxes, raccoons, minks, skunks, birds of prey, etc. In the wild ducklings have their mothers to look out for them and teach them how to avoid predators and they can eventually learn to fly away. Your ducklings have no one.

The honest answer is that releasing your ducklings would be cruel.

It is illegal and not fare to the Ducklings you took full responsibility for...The day you purchased the Ducklings they became your responsibility ...Sell them on a site....Do not release them..They won't survive very long...:(......

Contact a local shelter...They will help relocate the Ducklings....Bad idea on your part...:(

Cheers!

i also do not believe its illegal to let them live on a pond of private property? Lots of people who have large ponds keep domestic ducks
Original post says "friends pond" and that food will still be provided...

Any way, if its not a pond on your friends property, then yes your second option is much better to build them a house
1f642.png
1f44d-1f3fb.png
Regardless of where the pond is, it is never a good idea to just release domesticated ducks to fend for themselves with no protection at all. We have the expression 'Sitting duck,' for a reason. At night, they are completely helpless.

Actually in America it is illegal to abandon animals or release domesticated animals from your ownership, but it doesn't really sound like this person is disowning them, but it's seems like a :/ kind of situation

Well, I raised some last summer with hopes that I could "replace" an aging KC that lived on our lake for 14 years. I let them "out" onto the lake on Labor Day last year They were 12 weeks old. They seem to be happy. I keep a floating house for them about 20 feet from shore. It has a feeder that I fill once or twice a week. They spend much of the night in the house and lay eggs daily. So I think it's possible but it really depends on the exact situation. My ducks are on a 100 acre lake in the backwoods of SC. Predators are abundant but the lay of the lake, and having a floating house makes a big difference.
They'll be a year old soon.
They are great, low maintenance pets So far, it's been amazing.

woah ok im getting attacked lol. i bought wood and fence wire to build them a pen. they WILL have protection. they will be supplied with food 24/7 as well as water. my question is do they ALWAYS need to live in this enclosure? i love these ducklings and i know theyre my responsibility. my plans to keep them at my other friends house has failed. This is the only other thing Ive got to work with. Ive spent over 100 dollars on supplies to build them a pen already.

Back
Top Bottom