Letting the chicken raise the chicks? So many questions...

We ordered a white leghorn, a easter egger, and a Buff Orpington. The eggs will be able to be picked up tomorrow, so she's just sitting on normal eggs until then.
This is her first hatch so we just started off small.

We ordered a white leghorn, a easter egger, and a Buff Orpington. The eggs will be able to be picked up tomorrow, so she's just sitting on normal eggs until then.
This is her first hatch so we just started off small.
That’s great, and you’ll be able to tell which breed hatches out of which egg because of the colors!

Update:

One week to go, and two of the eggs seem healthy. When I shine a flashlight under them I can see veins and movement.

But I found the third egg broken in the run. The Buff Orpington egg had a missing side and a little bit of egg yolk stuck to the remaining shell. I didn't see any signs of a undeveloped chick anywhere around the run or coop.

Did the hen eat the egg? Did it die on its own? From the start I had wondered about it's chances of survival, it had a tiny chip in its shell, but the worker at the hatchery said it wouldn't affect the chick. Was that the reason it died?

Any feedback would be appreciated...

Update:

Both eggs hatched today! :celebrate We got them on the first, so I thought they would hatch on the twenty-first...apparently not.

I still haven't seen them (they are still under Stew) but I could feel them moving under her and hear them cheeping. I gave them part chicken\part chick feed and left them in the mini-coop for the night.

Is there anything I should be on the lookout for? Anything I am not thinking of?
Pictures will soon follow...

Thank you all who gave advice, you guys were very helpful :)

This is Sunny and Biscuit:

IMG_20220626_173652_kindlephoto-43316366.jpg
IMG_20220626_173721_kindlephoto-43293673.jpg
IMG_20220626_173721.jpg

Back
Top Bottom