Letting the chickens out of their run for the first time

Joken

Songster
May 11, 2020
I've been coaxing them out a little at a time and it's all new and scary it seems. Today I left the gate open and they all went out on their own. They didn't venture far and were enamored with my winter supply of hay that's under a shed roof next to the coop. I don't want poopie hay which had not occurred to me until today. I cleaned the coop today for the first time and put in fresh shavings. The chickens were afraid of the clean shavings and we had a time getting them in the coop. Yesterday they all went in very nicely by themselves. I guess we and the chickens are learning together.

I've been coaxing them out a little at a time and it's all new and scary it seems. Today I left the gate open and they all went out on their own. They didn't venture far and were enamored with my winter supply of hay that's under a shed roof next to the coop. I don't want poopie hay which had not occurred to me until today. I cleaned the coop today for the first time and put in fresh shavings. The chickens were afraid of the clean shavings and we had a time getting them in the coop. Yesterday they all went in very nicely by themselves. I guess we and the chickens are learning together.
Congrats! The first time I let the hens out I used dried mealworms to keep them close to me. I've relaxed a lot and now just use the mealworms to lure them back into the run.

Back
Top Bottom