letting the hens raise the chicks

alderroost

Hatching
7 Years
May 29, 2012
Southern California
Hi everyone!!

So we just had our first chick hatch today. She is out there with the hen that has been keeping her warm the past month. I have no idea what needs to be done. I want to leave her in with all the chickens, but will the other hens attack her?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Sometimes the other chickens will attack. You are better off by placing mom and babies in another cage where the others can see and hear the new ones for a couple of days and once they see they are apart of the family things should be fine.
smile.png

I've never had the other hens mess with Mom and babies. I'd leave everything alone and watch it all unfold. Chicks raised by their Mama hens are so much stronger and more hardy than those hatched artificially. Keep in mind that the hen has been sitting for over 3 weeks and the other hens have more than likely been growled at by her enough times to know to leave her alone.

leave them all together!!!!! mom will protect baby, and then baby will grow up as part of the flock... it's natural... it's alot better for everyone involved to let momma do her thing.....i will add this... when my hens have chicks i change the entire flock to flock raiser feed and then put out oyster shell for them...... healthier for chicks...

Great news! Now I can feel comfortable leaving my broodies to raise the little ones! It makes good sense....Lord knows I don't need anything else to take care of right now
big_smile.png

My 2 Marans hens are sharing a large clutch of eggs due to hatch on 8 or 9 June...... And, I've personally witnessed them growling at other hens who accidently got too close!

thank you everyone! We did leave the chicks with the mama and they are doing just fine. Does anyone have experience with feeding chicks pasturing only? We don't buy feed for our flock they just eat in the yard. The mama stays on the eggs so I have been taking food to her and the new chick, but I want to know how long I will need to do this? When will she lead the chick out to pasture and find food together?

Back
Top Bottom