Levamisole Dosage and Gapeworm

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OdieDubya, Jun 18, 2013.

1. AmberLM

AmberLM In the Brooder

Aug 29, 2016

2. AmberLM

AmberLM In the Brooder

Aug 29, 2016
    I think I did this wrong. I mixed the whole pack into a gallon of water and then from that a took 1/2 teaspoon and mixed in my chickens 1 gallon waterer.

3. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    Probably would ave been better to weigh the powder on a gram scale and make a smaller batch. The batch you put the whole pack into probably doesn't have a shelf life greater than two weeks.

-Kathy

4. AmberLM

AmberLM In the Brooder

Aug 29, 2016
    It says good for 90 days. I realized after I did it that's probably not the best way[​IMG]
    But am I right for putting the 1/2 teaspoon in the gallon waterer? Do you think it'll do what it's supposed to do, kill gapeworm? Thank you for your reply!

5. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    Does the label mention gapeworms?

-Kathy

6. lenadriver

lenadriver Chirping

Dec 11, 2014
    Australia
    1/3 tsp = approx 1mg of Levamisole, which is about right for 10 birds in their drinking water. Directions on the packet say in enough water that will be consumed over 6 hours. I have also read elsewhere that the birds are to be kept on it for 1-3 days but they failed to mention dosage.
    This is the best recommended product for gape worm, the directions are on the packet. Use the stronger dose for infestation, not the lower dose for maintenance.
    The 5 gms per 8 gallons is for about 1000 birds! I'm going from memory, as I'm treating my flocks now. I will doublecheck and amend if I got it wrong.

7. lenadriver

lenadriver Chirping

Dec 11, 2014
    Australia
    Yup,screwed up. Bloody memory!
    1/4 tsp =1 gram:hmm:hmm:hmm:th:he
    When treating infestation, treat 17- 21 days later.
    For broader spectrum ( which includes gapeworm), use 36 mg per kilo of body weight, in the amount of water they would drink over six hours. ( now I couldn't figure out why it was so specific, so I did some research and I think it's to do with the half life, which is only an hour and a half, which means it's at half strength).
    The 1000 bird dosage was 72 gms, so I really stuffed that up.Sorry! I've got the packet in front of me, so it's right this time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: