LF vs Bantam rooster

bigz1983

Crowing
7 Years
Aug 9, 2016
Michigan
Hey everyone we have 18 large breed hens and 1 large breed buff orpington rooster.
Our rooster has free will to mate with all 18 hens he's is our only rooster.
But I can't believe it a good portion of our hens are losing their feathers due to over mating.
My wife thinks we should put aprons on the hens to protect them.
That's sounds like a pain.
How much less damage does a Bantam rooster do to large fowl hens?
If I separate our buff orpington rooster from the hens how long would it take for the hens feathers to grow back?

It will take until they molt. A bantam will not do much damage, but still a little most likely, I have the same problems. I would get the saddle.
E0E51693-EE68-4A0D-945C-C4E4C88BC5BB.jpeg
That was taken a little while ago, it’s gotten worse.

A bantam is a good choice. Agree with @Fairyloop5. Another way to protect your hens is hen saddles.
Considering this is 18 hens, I'm thinking this is just a particularly vigorous rooster, and any replacement would be sufficient. I would also clip his toenails to prevent him from pulling out feathers.

Bare backed birds might not be from over-mating so much as bad technique and/or weak and brittle feathers that are easily broken.
Why do you need a 'male'?
Maybe not have one at all.
A bantam might not 'hit the mark' if you're after fertile eggs,
and wouldn't be as much of a deterrent if 'flock protection' is your goal.

I don't like to assume anything so I'll ask some dumb questions. I did not see where you described the feather loss. Typical feather loss from roosters is to the back of the head or on the back where his feet stand. Is the loss in these areas? Could you post a photo of the typical feather loss? That might give us a clue if there is something else going on or how severe it is. Some feather loss is normal but if you get bare skin it needs to be addressed. Bare skin can be cut by claws or, if it is a mature rooster with real spurs, his spurs.

How many of the hens are showing this damage? Even in a large flock like that it's not unusual for one or two to have damage but it would be unusual for many to unless there is some underlying cause. Aart mentioned a possible cause, brittle feathers. I'll show a link and an excerpt from that link just to show I'm not making it up. Typically the whole flock does not exhibit this, usually it's a genetic disorder that causes individual hens to not absorb the nutrients and use them properly, not that the minerals aren't in the feed to start with. But if it is fairly common across your flock, what are you feeding then?

Deficiencies of minerals, such as calcium, zinc, selenium, manganese and magnesium, may be associated with brittle, frayed feathers and itchy skin. There may be alterations in color or discoloration of feathers. The plumage can appear dull. Feather loss and moulting disorders can occur.

https://www.beautyofbirds.com/featherdisorders.html

Mostly out of curiosity, how old are they? An immature cockerel is more likely to be overactive than a mature rooster and is likely to have a poorer technique. The females are more likely to resist a cockerel too which can contribute to technique issues.

There are several other things that can contribute to overall feather loss, such as mites, lice, or feather plucking. That's why I'd like to make sure it is rooster caused. Let's make sure we are solving the right problem.

If the entire feather comes out, the feather should grow back in a month or so. If just a bit of the feather shaft is left in the follicle that feather will not grow back until the next molt.

When I have an issue I try to determine if it is an individual chicken problem or a flock-wide problem. That way I can concentrate on trying to solve the real problem. I also try to solve for the benefit of the overall flock, not in favor of one or two individuals. In your case I'm not sure if it is one or a few individuals or flock-wide.

Bare backed birds might not be from over-mating so much as bad technique and/or weak and brittle feathers that are easily broken.

I occasionally let my hens hatch out eggs so I need a rooster for fertile eggs.
Flock protection isn't a big deal.
I only let them free range with my supervision.
I know that a bantam would produce smaller less meaty offspring.
I have considered that.

I don't like to assume anything so I'll ask some dumb questions. I did not see where you described the feather loss. Typical feather loss from roosters is to the back of the head or on the back where his feet stand. Is the loss in these areas? Could you post a photo of the typical feather loss? That might give us a clue if there is something else going on or how severe it is. Some feather loss is normal but if you get bare skin it needs to be addressed. Bare skin can be cut by claws or, if it is a mature rooster with real spurs, his spurs.

How many of the hens are showing this damage? Even in a large flock like that it's not unusual for one or two to have damage but it would be unusual for many to unless there is some underlying cause. Aart mentioned a possible cause, brittle feathers. I'll show a link and an excerpt from that link just to show I'm not making it up. Typically the whole flock does not exhibit this, usually it's a genetic disorder that causes individual hens to not absorb the nutrients and use them properly, not that the minerals aren't in the feed to start with. But if it is fairly common across your flock, what are you feeding then?

Deficiencies of minerals, such as calcium, zinc, selenium, manganese and magnesium, may be associated with brittle, frayed feathers and itchy skin. There may be alterations in color or discoloration of feathers. The plumage can appear dull. Feather loss and moulting disorders can occur.

https://www.beautyofbirds.com/featherdisorders.html

Mostly out of curiosity, how old are they? An immature cockerel is more likely to be overactive than a mature rooster and is likely to have a poorer technique. The females are more likely to resist a cockerel too which can contribute to technique issues.

There are several other things that can contribute to overall feather loss, such as mites, lice, or feather plucking. That's why I'd like to make sure it is rooster caused. Let's make sure we are solving the right problem.

If the entire feather comes out, the feather should grow back in a month or so. If just a bit of the feather shaft is left in the follicle that feather will not grow back until the next molt.

When I have an issue I try to determine if it is an individual chicken problem or a flock-wide problem. That way I can concentrate on trying to solve the real problem. I also try to solve for the benefit of the overall flock, not in favor of one or two individuals. In your case I'm not sure if it is one or a few individuals or flock-wide.

There probably 6-8 hens with feather loss from the rooster.
I don't have any photos. I can take some when I get time.
The hens were hatched March of 2018 so about 1 year and 3 months old.
Rooster is same age.
I have 3 barred rock hens that are over 2 years old and there feathers are fine.
He likes the Buff Orpingtons(9) and Australorps(5).

Back
Top Bottom