Poultryluver11

Hatching
Jul 29, 2020
Hello!
I am considering buying an LGD puppy or dog for protecting my hens when they are free-ranging outside. There are a few options open to me right now and I’d love to hear some feedback.
First, there is a 6 month old Maremma who I think up until now has just been a family dog. Is it possible at this age to convert them to LGDs? Second, there is a 2 month old Great Pyrenees mixed with German Shepard. Would this be an option or would the prey drive of the GSD be too strong?
Thirdly, there is a litter of GP that would be available to me in the next few months which would be great but I’d like to start training now so that I may have an LGD sooner.
Let me know your opinions,
Thanks. Hannah

It may be hard for a dog used to being a family dog to be a LGD but it could work with time and patience.
The GSD and Prynese mix may work well but it depends on the dog himself. He's still young enough to train but, it'll be a long process.
With a new puppy you can train him or her to do exactly what you want but it'll be very expensive and time consuming.

It really depends on how much time and money you're willing to put into it.
Do you know/have you done research on LGD training? If not, the GP puppy would give you enough time, but I'm sure you know what your talking about by this point.

Hello!
I am considering buying an LGD puppy or dog for protecting my hens when they are free-ranging outside. There are a few options open to me right now and I’d love to hear some feedback.
First, there is a 6 month old Maremma who I think up until now has just been a family dog. Is it possible at this age to convert them to LGDs? Second, there is a 2 month old Great Pyrenees mixed with German Shepard. Would this be an option or would the prey drive of the GSD be too strong?
Thirdly, there is a litter of GP that would be available to me in the next few months which would be great but I’d like to start training now so that I may have an LGD sooner.
Let me know your opinions,
Thanks. Hannah
We did the try to retrain a LGD house dog and we lost two animals in the process in error of our part, we also have an LGD puppy and she is amazing. We did our due diligence and got a LGD trainer and it’s been amazing. I would suggest doing the GP puppies.

Every dog is an individual. I've bred and raised and keep Anatolian Shepherds and Kangal. In every litter less than half will be good with poultry from the beginning if started correctly- that means supervision and guidance. Poultry wasn't the stock LGDs evolved with and the behaviors of chickens, and roosters especially, are wrongly interpreted by an LGD.

All of my personal dogs have eventually been able to guard poultry but some have taken three years and constant supervision until then. The problem is that most people won't wait that long. And there is a misconception that once they "taste blood" they are ruined for life. This is not the right way to approach raising a great LGD. Proper supervision and guidance is the only way. A well-bred LGD will be able to eventually guard poultry. Pet breeding, which many GPyrs have been subject to, will decrease the inherent guardian qualities.

As for your choices, of the three I would wait for the full-bred GPyrs. GPyrs are perimeter guardians and need a secure fence or they will wander "their" territory.

I've never had these breeds, but have raised and trained mostly Chesapeake Bay retrievers, a German Shorthaired pointer, and a couple of Dalmations. All smart, driven, and trainable dogs, who were not difficult to teach early on to leave the chickens alone, and still guard the property.
As a method to keep a flock of chickens safe, having any guard dog, or dogs, will be the most expensive and take the longest to be effective option. Fencing will still be required to keep the dogs at home, and still safe overnight coops are necessary, at least without multiple dogs.
Depending on your climate, heavy coated dogs may be necessary, or a liability, from a maintenance standpoint.
Back to your actual question, I'd likely try one of the puppies, with a plan to add another in a year or three, after the first is trained.
Mary

Hey Hannah! Have you made a decision yet? The truth is, not all LGD’s are LGD’s. You will have better luck if the puppy has working parents but in hindsight, the 6 month old may have a better chance at not harming than the puppy. You just never know. The key is training, patience, and to realize LGD’s can not be trusted with livestock/poultry until they’re 2-3 years old. I’m currently introducing a 4 month old Great Pyrenees/Maremma mix. She’s doing pretty good! But around 9 months they really become stinkers so I’m preparing myself for that! They’re a quirky breed unlike any other. I have a few FB groups for you to join if interested in the breed. You will learn a ton about them and for me it was the greatest resource

Back
Top Bottom