Liability Protection for Egg Stand?

mis gallinitas

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2017
Boulder, CO
Hello!

I have 15 hens and am wanting to set up an Egg Stand on my property to sell eggs to neighbors. I live in CO and have researched the Colorado Cottage Foods Act regulations for my hobby (maybe 5-10 dozen a week). According to CO regulations, I do not need a permit or a license.

My question is to any and all small scale Egg Stand egg sellers out there: besides following my local regulations regarding refrigeration, cleaning, packaging and labeling.....Is there a way to protect myself in this litigious world from some crazy person suing me personally for an egg purchased at my Egg Stand?

According to CO regulations, I would be labeling my cartons with "Safe Handling Instructions: To prevent illness from bacteria, keep eggs refrigerated, cook eggs until yolks are firm, and cook any foods containing eggs thoroughly. These eggs do not come from a government-approved source."
Is this enough of a "buyer beware" disclaimer?

I have contacted my Homeowners Insurance Agent, and he says "The liability coverage under a homeowners policy is not designed for the exposures of your hobby. In addition to the increased trip and fall exposure there's products liability (someone getting sick on the eggs)." WHAT?

Also, I have researched the option of setting up an LLC, but it seems a bit much for my small Egg Stand operation.

I am so excited to set up my stand, but Dear Hubby is concerned about the liability....
HELP! I would so appreciate suggestions, experiences and feedback!

IMO, there is no safety from litigation in the society we now live in. You take your chances, no matter what you do in this world. I do sell eggs from my home, and often carry eggs to my customers. It's a risk I'm willing to take. Will I some day get bitten? I certainly hope not. I do not make any money selling eggs. As a matter of fact, it can be a pain in the neck. But, I do so as a labor of love, hoping to share a bit of my passion for fresh home raised food.

Back
Top Bottom