Lice and mites

Lanies chicks

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 16, 2013
Sunny California
Hi everyone!
So, I am working really hard right now to get rid of the last few remaining mites and lice in my coops. I've been using Neem shampoo and Permethrin powder. Does anyone else have any additional tricks up their sleeves to get rid of these little buggers?
Thanks!
~Alaina

Well, first of all, I would make sure to have all your coops cleaned out to make sure that there are no feathers laying around, or lice/mites lurking in the bedding. After you've cleaned out the coop, sprinkle DIATOMACEAOUS EARTH in the bedding, as an extra spot to "get 'em"

What I've found to work very well is garden and poultry dust, which can be found at Tractor Supply. It kills lice and Northern foul mites, and when one of my new birds had lice, all it took was one dusting and I didn't see any live/unhatched lice after that. You have to retreat 7-10 days later to kill the unhatched nits.

It can also be sprinkled in bedding, BUT it is very powerful stuff, and made me break out, and would be VERY harmful if inhaled. Always be very careful with these types of chemicals. ;)

Thank you @BarnChickyOO .
smile.png

I've use Diatomaceaous Earth in the past and have had little or no success with it.
Nothing seems to kill the mites though.
The lice are pretty easy to get rid of, but since the mites are microscopic, it is much harder to entirely get rid of them. I've been plucking feathers with eggs on them, and cleaning out my coops quite a bit as well as bathing my birds.
It seems I can never entirely get rid of them though.

DE never worked for me either. It might work in an arid region where mites are less of a problem

I suggest you buy a bottle of Frontline Spray (the one for puppies and kittens alike). Spray under the wing one spray and under the vent area (not on the vent). I do this to my birds before a show so they do not bring 'em home.

Also, Ivermectin (injectable) -- put drops on skin between the shoulder blades of each bird. A drop or two for Bantams; 3-5 lbs, 3 drops; 5-9 lbs, 4-5 drops. This will kill mites & de-worm at the same time except a tapeworm and even scaly leg mite.

Some people dust the bird with Sevin dust -- If you use Sevin, make sure to get it under the feathers. I do not use anymore because I have honeybees.

When I did in the past, I used a dusting pistol like this
Here: http://www.ghorganics.com/PestPistol.html

All these are off label uses.

This is a natural product that works but it is better at preventing. It works slower but it does work:

http://www.strombergschickens.com/p...-oz-Concentrate/Poultry-Mite-and-Lice-Control

http://www.strombergschickens.com/product/Poultry-Protector-16oz-Spray/Poultry-Mite-and-Lice-Control

You might find it available cheaper than Stromberg's - google it.

Quote: You do not see scaly leg mite (which I assume you are asking & are microscopic) like you see & feel poultry mites and lice (lice are larger and move faster; mites are tiny and crawl).

You only see the results of the scaly leg mites. Also, scaly leg mites is one of those things that travel ever so slowly through a flock. Conversely, "mites and lice" -- you know they are there and they can spread like a wildfire. You will have no doubt as they will be crawling all over you the second you pick up your bird & a severe mite infestation can bring down your bird quickly.

-- not so with scaly leg mite where you just see where the scales are popped up -- if given time (months) will cause your bird severe foot and/ or leg issues -- but easier to treat (campho-phenique on the legs & feet or Vet-Rx or even WD 40 or olive oil -- all smother the scaly leg mites which you do not see).

http://www.bing.com/images/search?s...EE5107712449C9F2C80410986BC765B91&FORM=IQFRBA

Thank you so much @cgmccary !!! I have never heard of some of those treatments, and those are some products I have never used, so I really hope they will do the trick!
smile.png
Oh, and that pest pistol sounds like quite the weapon. I'll have to try it out! thanks for everything!

@BarnChickyOO , Scaly leg mites are pretty icky as well. >.< I've dealt with them in the past, and with just a little bit of Red Coat they go right away (It kills the mites in only a treatment or two.) The only bad thing about it is it is bright red, and if people come and look at your flock they absolutely freak out.
hmm.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom