Lice - Ivermectin number of treatments

Gammond

Songster
Aug 31, 2016
Central BC, Canada
We have just about 100 chickens. They have lice. I have tried a lot of things in the past and it is hard to get a handle on.

How many doses of ivermectin do they need for lice? I am hoping just 1 will get rid of them and the eggs?!?!

If we do go this route, I will administer it in their waterer to make things a lot easier for us.

I know there is a lot of controversy over this, but I'm not looking to debate it - we do plan to try this.

UPDATE! I found a can of Permethrin spray.... I tried this instead! I will repeat again after 10 days and again once more to be safe.... some I only heavily sprayed their backs - I'm hoping this was enough...

Last edited:
Permethrin spray works very well for lice and mites, and does have some residual action. It's still best to retreat in two weeks, and be alert for reinfestations, from those miserable wrens that help themselves to the feed!
Fenbendazole is now approved for use in chickens in the USA, and kills most intestinal parasites. What worms do your birds have? You have had fecals checked, right?
Mary

I need to know too bc i am worming my show birds with 1% ivermectin orally and need to know the dose?
  • Minimum dose that most veterinary books say to use is is 0.01 ml per pound (0.05 ml per five pounds).
  • The max dose I use is one that one veterinarian recommended. It is 0.05 ml per pound (0.025 ml per five pounds).
Keep in mind that there are studies that say ivermectin is not effective in treating capillary worms and gapeworms.

• Minimum dose that most veterinary books say to use is is 0.01 ml per pound (0.05 ml per five pounds).
  • The max dose I use is one that one veterinarian recommended. It is 0.05 ml per pound (0.025 ml per five pounds).
Keep in mind that there are studies that say ivermectin is not effective in treating capillary worms and gapeworms.
Ok thanks

Permethrin spray works very well for lice and mites, and does have some residual action. It's still best to retreat in two weeks, and be alert for reinfestations, from those miserable wrens that help themselves to the feed!
Fenbendazole is now approved for use in chickens in the USA, and kills most intestinal parasites. What worms do your birds have? You have had fecals checked, right?
Mary

Do you think I should spray again after 7 days? Or wait a little longer?

Back
Top Bottom