Lice not hatched after 10 days? Permethrin treatment

Flamestone

Chirping
Jul 9, 2021
Hey guys! I've been on this forum a lot and decided to make an account to ask a question as I'm currently treating my chickens for lice. I completely cleaned out their coop, sprayed it all down with Permethrin, and sprayed all of the chickens around 10 days ago, and was planning to spray them again today. However, when I check on my chickens, there are still lots of lice eggs and no lice to be seen anywhere, I feel like it would be a waste to spray them right now? Should I wait a couple more days until I see the eggs hatch or should I re-spray anyway? Also, on my second/third application is it recommended to spray down the whole coop again?
Thanks so much, guys

How many chickens do you have? I had this problem on a small flock so I bathed them to get the eggs off then gave them another spray just to be safe.

The spray will not kill the pests eggs, so repeated weekly treatments for 3/4 weeks are necessary as the pests eggs hatch out.
Here is a chart a BYC member made. I use the 0.50% solution.
casportponyPermethrinChart.jpg

You can also get the premixed spray. I also use poultry dust in my nest boxes. Good luck...

Attachments

• PoultryDust0.25.jpg
    PoultryDust0.25.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 11
  • PoultryDust.jpg
    PoultryDust.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 7
  • MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 6
  • PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 4
  • PermethrinSpray.jpg
    PermethrinSpray.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 9
Hello,
I too have the same.problem with lice, My chickens are being infested with lice I too and i live in northern Alberta Canada . It has been -35 to 40 Celsius everyday and I have only one vet close by that won't see chickens and she won't prescribe me anything without seeing them, which she won't....All I can find locally is a product called Doktor Doom which is the spray that you're supposed to spray the coop and clean the bedding out, and spray the chickens but how safe is it I don't know. All I know is that I can't clean the coOp when it's -40 out so what else can a person do....? I set up a dust bath inside the cup with with diatameous Earth food grade , wood ash and sand which I've read is supposed to be the natural way chickens fight lice, but they're all scared of it and won't go in it....

Back
Top Bottom