Lice or Mites...The myriad methods are confusing, what is the best chemical treatment

When cleaning/treating the coop, do I have to remove all the bedding? If so, how often...between treatments?

Lice reproduce every 10 days, while mites reproduce every 5-7 days. When treating those, I would treat at least twice at the 7 or 10 day interval to get the parasite, and then the newly hatched ones before they are old enough to reproduce. All bedding should be removed from the coop and nests. Coop, nests, and roosts treated with permethrin spray will last 30 days. Be sure to replace with clean new bedding, and take away the old far away or burn it.

Lice reproduce every 10 days, while mites reproduce every 5-7 days. When treating those, I would treat at least twice at the 7 or 10 day interval to get the parasite, and then the newly hatched ones before they are old enough to reproduce. All bedding should be removed from the coop and nests. Coop, nests, and roosts treated with permethrin spray will last 30 days. Be sure to replace with clean new bedding, and take away the old far away or burn it.
🤦‍♀️ I didn't even touch the nests...

After this treatment, any recommendations on how to better prevent? I try to stay away from anything that kills bees and they don't seem to like the bath I make and rather have made nests all over my yard.

I am a fan of saving bees, but the lice or mites can drive them crazy or even kill them. I don’t put pesticides or weed killer on my yard, due to killing all pollenating insects and worms. I have used permethrin in my coop though.

We use permethrin spray or dust in the coop and roofed run, never outside. Either mites or lice will kill birds, and must be treated!
If you have the permethrin spray concentrate, follow the directions on the package for your birds and coop. The dust is useful under the bedding in their nest boxes too.
'Prevention' isn't really the thing, and only happens if your birds never go outside, and have zero contact with wild songbirds.
Check your birds at night while roosting, with a small flashlight or head lamp, and treat them when necessary.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom