Lice won't go away...suggestions?

Hi, I was just reading some of these posts and I agree with all that works. I would just like to say that I have had a flock of 95 hens and 5 roosters for 3 years in Southeast Texas. I have always used a lot of DEA and I also have my burn pile near the hen house. I did not know that the ashes were good for the girls, but I would notice them bathing in it often. It was funny to watch a white rock become gunmetal black. Anyway what I am getting at is that I have yet to have a problem with mites or lice. I do not know if this has anything to do with it, but I hope it does. Now if we could just find something to take care of these Texas size mequitos!

I would like to add that I also include the DEA in their feed. I sprinkle it anywhere that they lay around and dust bath and ALWAYS sprinkle a good layer when I put in fresh shavings. I swear by the stuff

Always take care when centrarchid posts concerning pest management. I indicated birds will preferentially dust bath in ash / charcoal laden soil and that I do not have external parasite (louse)problems. Sevin dust is also not used with free-ranging birds. Key point is that I do not know if dust bathing in such is actual reason for low abundance of parasites.

Thanks for the links! I do believe I have read some of these. What I don't understand is that if using Seven dust on chickens is so common, why would people here locally never of heard of it before nor use it on their chickens? I did opt to go with the Poultry Dust but with so many references and members using it on here then I really don't the problem with it.

Always take care when centrarchid posts concerning pest management. I indicated birds will preferentially dust bath in ash / charcoal laden soil and that I do not have external parasite (louse)problems. Sevin dust is also not used with free-ranging birds. Key point is that I do not know if dust bathing in such is actual reason for low abundance of parasites.

Why not use the seven dust with free-ranging birds?

Quote:
Notice in that link it says that sevin is a restricted chemical. But I have been finding tons of links all over the net where the extension offices are saying to use it so I don't know what to say??????

I hope some of this helps...signing off!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom