LICE

katharine

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 19, 2007
At least two of my chickens (I have four and three chicks) have lice. They move quickly and are straw colored. I read that you could bathe them in soapy water (and let it sit) instead of using pesticides. Any thoughts? I think this is going to be stressful for them and me!

I've heard that you could coat them in vaseline and it will kill them, but your going to have to put something in the coop, or their living quarters. If you don't they will just become reinfested. I am having chicken flea problems myself right now. I can't figure out what to put out that is not harmful to bees, so I'm not much help as far as clearing them out of the coop goes.

Gwen

Food grade DE (diatomaceous earth) is not a pesticide. It works sort of like glass slicing whatever insect or parasite crawls over or through it. You can safely dust your chicks, coop, nest, etc. with it. You can even feed it to chicks. It is an ingredient found in most boxed cereal. Custom Milling has the best price for a 50lb. bag. (Google it). It must be FOOD GRADE DE. Other DE is used for cleaning pool filters and will kill chickens. I hope this helps.
smile.png

It was just on the news that the lice are becomming resistant to most pesticides now....so i doubt that soapy water will help.

Last edited:
I've read that dusting with sulfur - like the type you buy for plants - works. I dusted both my hens with it today. Also, I read you should dust the coop too, and the dust baths. DE is probably better for that, because they shouldn't ingest too much sulfur.

I also intend to get some pyrethrin-based kitten flea shampoo and give them baths.

I'm also interested in any other organic treatments for lice.

A mixture of Cinnamon oil and Tea tree oil works on HUMAN head lice, but I don't know if it would work on bird lice or how the birds would react to the oils. Tea tree is a super mild oil and I can't imagine it would bother them, but Cinnamon oil is extremely strong. Anyone ever try essential oils with birds???????

I mix DE and sevin dust in the end of a cut off pantyhose foot - to make a little bag. Then I powder puff around the vents and under the wings, etc and powder up the chickens with it. No lice or mites. It is what has always worked for me.

Anyone tried this stuff? They sound dubious to me, but I was curious. Usually, "safe" on something designed to kill + "it falls into the exempt category of products which use only plant oils as active ingredients" = doesn't work at least for plant sprays.

Elico Gold Label Louse Powder 400 grms

Product Ref: 1!MD41

Contains piperonil from a natural source as used in human head lice repellents, combined with volatile oils (produces a safe environmentally friendly powder) For application directly to poultry, farm animals, horses, and pets. Can be applied to housing, bedding and carpets. This repels lice and other flying and crawling insects from animals.

Barrier Louse Powder 500 grams

Product Ref: MD188

Barriers unique formulation of Louse Powder contains a safe-carrier that does not cause carcinogenic effects. Designed to be applied directly to all animals it is suitable for use in organic farming systems, as it falls into the exempt category of products which use only plant oils as active ingredients. Barrier Animal Healthcare's Louse Powder can be applied to most animals and poultry, even young stock over 2 weeks old. It can be used on both Sucking and Biting Lice. It works at repelling the Lice over a six week period.​

Back
Top Bottom