Lice?

I ordered my diatomaceous earth from MyPetChicken as well. It is the Perma-guard brand. It says "Food Grade" on the front. They shipped it pretty fast so I was happy with their service. I have already learned the hard way, not to listen to people at these feed stores and farm supply stores. It is scary the advice they give.

I ordered my Diatomaceous Earth ( FOOD GRADE) from www.earthworkshealth.com ..I got a 50 lb bag shipped to me and have been using it for myself also..but feel good when I can use it in the coops and the chickens seem to like to dust in it..it has many uses I read..

If someone had not of mentioned it on here I would have bought the stuff that would had not been good for them..thank goodness for this site that guides us in the right directions..

Food-grade DE will help, but since your chicken already HAS a pest, you may have to rethink your stance on pesticides. If you can rid her and the others of these things, you can use the DE to help keep them away.

Miss Prissy has an excellent method- take Sevin powder and food-grade DE and put it in the foot of a nylon or old pantyhose. Take the hen in your lap and dust the lady's bottom with the mixture, liberally, then dust under her wings. Keep checking- avoid nares, mouth and eyes of course. Treat all your birds, then use the DE in your bedding, nest boxes, on roosts, in cracks and crevices, and create a perimeter in your run. You'll have to repeat this in 10 days to 2 weeks, btw.

Also consider setting up a sand box with the DE and Sevin mixed in so the birds will dust-bathe themselves repeatedly. It can be very difficult to get rid of these things without a pesticide. Tough decision, but long-term exposure can compromise the health of your birds and make them susceptible to all kinds of other problems.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom