Lice?

Quailchild

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 10, 2013
Hate to post again so soon, 'specially for the following reason, but;

I purchased a pair of peachicks last sunday, a few days ago. On a hunch this morning I sat the younger pea-chick down and under a magnifying glass and light; pried through their feathers, only to find creepy crawlies every now and then. I managed to, with a tweezer, pluck one off and put it in a bag for examination.

I'm pretty sure it's some kind of louse. I did not find any egg clusters, but with these two being so young (four weeks) I definitely want to diagnose and treat it pronto.

My question being;

What would be a safe way to address this for young peafowl?

It is not deadly!
Give him the opportunity to bathe in clean sand ....!

0.jpg

Dany has given you good advice.
i use peat moss, sand and wood ash and my babies love it and are lice free.

A bit of seven dust in the mix will not hurt them, i use it in my ground brooders to keep red ants at bay when it rain alot.

Many folks do not know that dust bathing is very important to birds even wee little peas in a cage off the ground, it is how they keep clean and nice looking plus it is entertaining
wink.png

Ah, thanks for the assurance! Protective-Mama-bird mode has disengaged. I love that kiddy pool idea! Too cute! We have one in storage, I'll fill that up with sand for the hens (whose ground has frozen up as of late) and fill a smaller tub for the two peas. Much thanks!

I use poultry dust on mine... Put a little on their vent and under the wings. And if they had any on their face, i would very carefully put a small amount on their heads, avoiding the eyes, nostrils and mouth, of course.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Dany has given you good advice.
i use peat moss, sand and wood ash and my babies love it and are lice free.

A bit of seven dust in the mix will not hurt them, i use it in my ground brooders to keep red ants at bay when it rain alot.

Many folks do not know that dust bathing is very important to birds even wee little peas in a cage off the ground, it is how they keep clean and nice looking plus it is entertaining
wink.png

Cute little peas takin' a mud bath!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom