License - State required to raise quail?

jjaazzy

Songster
11 Years
Mar 2, 2013
Davie, Fl
I am just getting into my research and I do not possess any quail right now. But do you need the License for a handful of birds and how hard is it to get a State Lic.? Are there requirements you must meet? Do they come and check to provide lic. and do they come continually to check? Does the NPIP get involved with testing Quail? Thanks..

I contacted nj fish and wildlife, they told me in nj coturnix are an exempt species, no license needed. They told me to contact the dept of agriculture to see if they have any requirements, and I left a message twice and have not heard back, so I think covid has slowed things down.

I contacted nj fish and wildlife, they told me in nj coturnix are an exempt species, no license needed. They told me to contact the dept of agriculture to see if they have any requirements, and I left a message twice and have not heard back, so I think covid has slowed things down.
Thank you, for your reply

Thanks for the info on NJ. Their website just says quail require a license, and I kept meaning to call since these are domesticated birds, but procrastination is my middle name. :D

I am just getting into my research and I do not possess any quail right now. But do you need the License for a handful of birds and how hard is it to get a State Lic.? Are there requirements you must meet? Do they come and check to provide lic. and do they come continually to check? Does the NPIP get involved with testing Quail? Thanks..

First, it clearly depends on the state.
I see your profile says Florida, so I assume that's where you live.

Also, some states have different rules for different kinds of quail. (Button, Coturnix, Bobwhite, etc.)

I found this:
https://myfwc.com/license/captive-wildlife/game-farms/

I think it says you need a license for anything they consider "game," but there's an exception for certain kinds if you have less than 50 and you aren't selling them.

Thanks for the info on NJ. Their website just says quail require a license, and I kept meaning to call since these are domesticated birds, but procrastination is my middle name. :D
Np, I contacted them so many times and received a voicemail reply haha. Their site says that you have to check a separate index for non native species that also require a permit, and when I checked that list, it said all members of family phasianidae needed a permit. I sent in the forms and the like $12 but received no reply or permit (I don’t do checks, and they had no online payment option, so I sent cash haha, I guess it’s gone). But the lady who returned my call said they are exempt.

Previous places I’ve lived you could buy fishing, hunting, and other fish and wildlife licenses at Walmart and other sporting goods stores, but they had no one working that desk any times I went so I don’t know if you found someone working there, if they could even sell you a license to raise bobwhites or pheasants or anything else.

Back
Top Bottom