Life Span in Cornish White Cross

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Hucklekree, Aug 4, 2011.

1. BirchHatchery

BirchHatchery Songster

Nov 2, 2009
    indiana
    my cornish rooster Big John is 2 years old and he breeds the leghorn hens like crazy he was kept on a strict diet for first year and free ranged as much as possible today he lives with the hens and is probly 15 pounds or more and runs around and eats all the time now i started with 10 5 hens and 5 roos all the hens died and all the roos lived once the roos got around a year old they got so violent to echother you would of thought they were Gamefowl so i culled all but the biggest one

2. mstricer

mstricer Crowing

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Not trying to sound mean but, how can a 15 lb bird breed with a small leghorn like crazy. I was having problems with mybig Marans roo mating with the smaller birds. Doesn't he squish them?

3. BirchHatchery

BirchHatchery Songster

Nov 2, 2009
    indiana
    i dont no but i see him every day the leghorns squat for him Nature always finds a way

4. mstricer

mstricer Crowing

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Have you tried hatching those eggs to see if you can get a nice DP. It might go quicker and be meatie. Worth a try. I hatched out some FR/Marans and they were big and yummy.

5. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Crowing

Nov 10, 2010
    NE Wisconsin
    Sounds like a Calvinia ! [​IMG]

Sorry to hear about her buddy.
    Best of luck with your meaty hen.

6. 00 Turok

00 Turok In the Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    @ kuntrygirl... I'm new to chicken raising. Got started into it 2 weeks ago when I found some peeps by a road side. Because they are growing so fast... ragerkid2 ... thought I had meat birds & it looks like they are cornish cross. I've just learned that they only live for about 12 weeks, but then I stumbled on to your post how yours lived to be 4 years. I have 2 chicks & they are 2 weeks old now & I'm feeding them chick starter.

Any details you could give me in addition to what you told Hucklekree for his cornish x ? Like what adult feed should I get for them? I'd like to give them a longer happy life than 12 weeks.

TiaMaria413 likes this.
  7. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Songster

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Hi, This is a old post. You should send her a PM as she might not see your questions here. Start limited feed now if, you want them around for long and healthy. Good Luck.

TiaMaria413 likes this.
  8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

I will send you a PM. Thanks

9. bluere11e

bluere11e Songster

Feb 8, 2011
    West Palm Beach
    Quote: Good luck with yours. Keep us posted.
    Did these hens lay many eggs?

10. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

They layed a few eggs a week and they layed double yokers.

TiaMaria413 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: