Life with Murphy's Law - this time in the Hawk Department

Quote:
LMAO - trying not wake my husband.

Woo. That's a good one.

Sorry about the hawks. We have a nest towards the back of our cleared acreage. They were there last year and reared a clutch without giving us troubles. They're back this year, fixing up the nest.

Good luck-
Em

Birds can't smell???

Yea ok

They did a study on homing pigeons and how they couldn't find their way back home when they disabled their sense of smell.

I am sure Kiwis find worms by psychic powers. Vultures just know or feel when things die.

http://www.stanford.edu/group/stanfordbirds/text/essays/Avian_Sense.html
{sparrows, chickens, pigeons, ducks, shearwaters, albatrosses, and vultures are able to smell.}

Now some birds have been shown not to use their sense of smell at all or very little but to use a blanket statement like. Birds can't smell....Well you are just opening yourself up a can of worms ;-)

Bubba

Last edited:
Quote:
Vultures have a very good sense of smell. Most birds don't (have a strong sense of smell), though. I wouldn't expect pee in the nest to do anything more than get the birds wet.
tongue.png

Last edited:
See if you can find out if there are any falconers in your area. They may be interested in getting a baby to train. They have to be licenced and permitted to have hawks, and besides providing a place for the young, may have helpful information about convincing the parents to move somewhere else next year.

Just realized this week that we have a pair of sharp-shinned hawks nesting about 100 yards from where my run will be. This is the first year they've nested there and what a quinkydink, my first year for chickens. Now that's Murphy's Law!!!
he.gif
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom