Light Brahma cockerel or pullet?

Attachments

• IMG_1054.jpg
    IMG_1054.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 13
Wow. Several on fb have said mine is a Roo and yours looks much more developed than mine at about the same age. I am so confused
Wait some longer on yours. Repost on your own thread when it's 7-8 weeks. Brahmas are slow to mature, the OP's bird just happened to be early blooming. Don't assume cockerel, but don't rule it out either

Hello, everyone!

I have a 5 1/2 week old Light Brahma chick. I could've sworn she was a pullet, but she has a pretty distinct comb and she is more developed than the other chicks. She is also bigger than my three Isa Browns and Buff Orpington, but that could be because she is a bigger breed in general. I was trying to experiment with this batch of chicks, so I wanted to go out of my comfort zone and get a bigger breed of chicken. Is this normal for a Light Brahma? Is she just a really big pullet or cockerel?

(don't mind the messy brooder lol it was cleaning day)
Are the feathers around the neck pointed or rounded? Former would indicate male, the latter a pullet.

Wow. Several on fb have said mine is a Roo and yours looks much more developed than mine at about the same age. I am so confused
Yes yours is a roo.. Some roosters develop earlier than others, while some develop faster. But yours is def a cockerel :) sorry 'bout the news.

What seems like the dead giveaway?
I raise Brahmas :) There is no dead giveaway. They cannot be successfully sexed at that age, unless they are an especially fast maturing male or of a variety whose feathers show sexual dimorphism. Light Brahmas are not a variety that that works on. I assume they're looking at the comb, but honestly it's not concerning me. For comparison, here's one of my pullet's and one my cockerel's combs at the same age. You would probably assume the one with the larger comb is the cockerel and smaller the pullet, but it was the exact opposite. Unless a Brahma has a red comb or large wattles at this age, there is no way to sex them other than waiting
BF2532A8-5620-473F-92F8-18DC1CE2ADA2.jpeg
E0FCA34B-3C67-4710-85D4-C9CEEB543BF7.jpeg

I raise Brahmas :) There is no dead giveaway. They cannot be successfully sexed at that age, unless they are an especially fast maturing male or of a variety whose feathers show sexual dimorphism. Light Brahmas are not a variety that that works on. I assume they're looking at the comb, but honestly it's not concerning me. For comparison, here's one of my pullet's and one my cockerel's combs at the same age. You would probably assume the one with the larger comb is the cockerel and smaller the pullet, but it was the exact opposite. Unless a Brahma has a red comb or large wattles at this age, there is no way to sex them other than waiting
View attachment 2656932View attachment 2656930
Thank you ā¤

Back
Top Bottom