1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Light Brahma Egg production

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenSahib, Aug 2, 2011.

1. ChickenSahib

ChickenSahib Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Hayward
    How many eggs on avg, a week, have y'all gotten from this breed?

2. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    I have three, but I'm told about 4-5 a week each and they mature a little later than most breeds

3. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I have the Bantams and they lay almost daily. Their eggs are also medium to large and recently I have been getting up to 3 oz eggs! Very friendly and good layers, especially in winter [​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It varies, really. I've gotten several hatchery girls and most did an average 6 a week, one of my girls rarely ever misses a day and she's 2 years old, going on to 3.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    At 18 months old, I was averaging 6 eggs a week from each of my LF brahma girls. Now at 3+years old they each average 3 eggs a week, and that's with temps. in the triple digits.

Nice thing about brahmas....they don't slow down for winter.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  6. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

I would say around 6 a week. on a good week!![​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have one Lt. Brahma who is going on 5 yrs old now. She lays 4-5 eggs per week. My Buff Brahma, after a long break from laying, same age, is laying 3-4 eggs per week. Both are hatchery hens.

8. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    I have a hatchery hen who surprisingly was one of my first to lay at maybe 20 weeks. She lays for 2 or 3 days then off for one so maybe 5/week. Really nice easy going bird. Highly recommend the breed.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  9. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I have two hatchery LF light brahmas and they average 5 per week, but mine didn't do well this winter at all, while our golden comets kept laying. We didn't supplement with extra light, though. They're very gentle, friendly birds! They are my kids' favorites.

10. JohnCT

JohnCT Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2011
    NW CT
    My 3 are at about 10 weeks, so I'm hoping to get the 4-5 a week the rest of you are getting. Nice to hear all the good things about the breed, I didn't know alot when I picked them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by