Light Brahma, laying early and 2 times a day!

I have a LB that did the same thing. Several weeks she laid 2 a day and the first few days they were normal. Then they went soft. Sometimes one soft 1 hard.
At any rate. She took a long break and when she started laying again she is now laying 1 egg a day like a normal gal. *SHEW* I was really worried, too. Especially reading, as you did, that this breed should not a prolific layer. I actually tried to get her to lay (warm baths, oil) when she wasn't for fear of egg binding because she went from 2 a day to nothing for so long.
(Made a fool of me!)

She's fine and all is well now! I bet as your gal matures her system will work the kinks out. The only thing I can say is that the egg color you have in your hands is different so that could be from one egg spending less time in the chute so to speak .... but MAYBE she's finding an egg in the nest and then acting that way? I know while my LB was on a siesta she would act that way when she saw an egg in the box or saw another hen laying. (Hormonal/peer pressure issue?) But I'm totally not doubting your story as I have BTDT!

G/L!!! (Oh my pullet is about 7 months now and has been back on track for 4 or 5 weeks... I'd have to look back at my posts to see. LOL.)

I have a LB that did the same thing. Several weeks she laid 2 a day and the first few days they were normal. Then they went soft. Sometimes one soft 1 hard.
At any rate. She took a long break and when she started laying again she is now laying 1 egg a day like a normal gal. *SHEW* I was really worried, too. Especially reading, as you did, that this breed should not a prolific layer. I actually tried to get her to lay (warm baths, oil) when she wasn't for fear of egg binding because she went from 2 a day to nothing for so long.
(Made a fool of me!)

She's fine and all is well now! I bet as your gal matures her system will work the kinks out. The only thing I can say is that the egg color you have in your hands is different so that could be from one egg spending less time in the chute so to speak .... but MAYBE she's finding an egg in the nest and then acting that way? I know while my LB was on a siesta she would act that way when she saw an egg in the box or saw another hen laying. (Hormonal/peer pressure issue?) But I'm totally not doubting your story as I have BTDT!

G/L!!! (Oh my pullet is about 7 months now and has been back on track for 4 or 5 weeks... I'd have to look back at my posts to see. LOL.)
Thank you for the reply. I do hope she figures this out soon. Today I separated the third pullet and just kept the 2 layers in there. Had a family event all day. No eggs at 8 am, and 3 eggs at 7 pm when I returned. One of them was VERY warm, so She had just laid it...which is later than she has been laying the second one....so I guess I hope this means she is starting to pace them out more!

I got two hens just after Easter this year. They are going on 25 weeks old. One started laying just over 3 weeks ago. (First day she laid under her coop.. but she got the hang of it now and goes in her coop.) Her "sister" will accompany her to the nest and sit with her, not yet laying though. The one laying has got things messed up though. For one... she sings that she has laid an egg BEFORE she lays and a lot of times she will cackle more than once before laying.. lol And for the 2 weeks she has been laying one really jumbo double yolker. I don't know what type of chicken she is other than she lays greenish blue eggs. I have heard she is an Aricana? or Americana? not sure. Both hens are "red faced" and the same age.. but only one is laying. Now that I have heard that laying double yolks can be harmful to them, I am worried. btw, what other ways can I tell if the other one is ready. I just found out tonight from reading posts that they lay when the face and comb finally stays red. I used to call them Mood chickens because it would be pink.. then turn red when they were mad. lol I am learning sooo much from this forum! I so love my girls, and they free range all day, eat veggies, and scratch, and I give them oyster shell. The eggs I get are nice for pullets. I'd say med to large! Nice and GREEN! I am so pleased with the hen twins.. lol I just can't wait for the other to start laying. She is showing intrest. btw I have heard that two hens that are close, will use the same nest box, or nest together. Is this true? I have one nice sized coop.. no nest box , the girl just lays in the coop.

I got two hens just after Easter this year. They are going on 25 weeks old. One started laying just over 3 weeks ago. (First day she laid under her coop.. but she got the hang of it now and goes in her coop.) Her "sister" will accompany her to the nest and sit with her, not yet laying though. The one laying has got things messed up though. For one... she sings that she has laid an egg BEFORE she lays and a lot of times she will cackle more than once before laying.. lol And for the 2 weeks she has been laying one really jumbo double yolker. I don't know what type of chicken she is other than she lays greenish blue eggs. I have heard she is an Aricana? or Americana? not sure. Both hens are "red faced" and the same age.. but only one is laying. Now that I have heard that laying double yolks can be harmful to them, I am worried. btw, what other ways can I tell if the other one is ready. I just found out tonight from reading posts that they lay when the face and comb finally stays red. I used to call them Mood chickens because it would be pink.. then turn red when they were mad. lol I am learning sooo much from this forum! I so love my girls, and they free range all day, eat veggies, and scratch, and I give them oyster shell. The eggs I get are nice for pullets. I'd say med to large! Nice and GREEN! I am so pleased with the hen twins.. lol I just can't wait for the other to start laying. She is showing intrest. btw I have heard that two hens that are close, will use the same nest box, or nest together. Is this true? I have one nice sized coop.. no nest box , the girl just lays in the coop.

the hens are most likely EEs (easter eggers) because aracaunas have little face tufts (if you have them you know what I mean! lol) and the ameracaunas have, er, green legs.
Singing the egg song has NOTHING to do with egg laying, and hens will sing it when they hear another hen singing,before they laid, after they laid, up to them. Some stay quiet, others never shut up. Just depends.

Also once your hen starts laying its no longer a pullet :)

the hens are most likely EEs (easter eggers) because aracaunas have little face tufts (if you have them you know what I mean! lol) and the ameracaunas have, er, green legs.
Singing the egg song has NOTHING to do with egg laying, and hens will sing it when they hear another hen singing,before they laid, after they laid, up to them. Some stay quiet, others never shut up. Just depends.

Also once your hen starts laying its no longer a pullet :)
I can attest to the egg song thing :) I have 13 chickens total, only 2 are laying, and they ALL do the egg song when one starts it. Sometimes they just do it "because" and then I get all excited thinking one of the younger pullets have started laying.

I did think a pullet was any female under a year...guess I have 11 pullets and 2 hens then! Thank you for explaining that, learn something new every time I visit here. :)

I'm sitting here chuckling, knew there would be some disagreement. Checked with the glossary here in the learning center, says under a year for both. My Webster's says under a year as well. I think if I had enough dictionaries to check, there would be enough that give it both ways.

Just an update on my over aggressive layer..
Following my last post, she had another 2 egg day...then the next day laid one soft shell in the morning and a regular one late day...then no eggs for 3 days. After that, she has laid one egg daily with a day off before starting again. I was getting concerned that I would have to call Guiness soon :)

Back
Top Bottom